C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Dying

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 07:37 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Dying

Let me see if I have this correct. Prep is most important. Use a good degreaser/cleaner. Then use lots of soap and water. Then use a good plastic primer, then paint/dye and finally a good clear coat. Any suggestion on how many coats of primer, paint/dye and clear coat? Should the process be similar to painting a body, with sanding in between? I have 22 year old plastic that is in good shape, but looks like crap (dirt buildup and glue, etc.). :flag
Old 12-18-2002, 10:29 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Plastic Dying (greatgonzoglenn)

It all depends on what you are painting. When I did my armrest and windshield header I got some interior paint mixed at NAPA, with a plasticizer added to keep it flexible. Then I bought one of those aerosol spray adapters to provide the means to apply it, cleaned the parts and painted them.

If you're doing plastic parts you don't want to sand them. It will just wreck the texture that's molded into the plastic.

Wasn't any big deal. Still looks good after over 10 years. :steering:
Old 12-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Plastic Dying (greatgonzoglenn)

I re dyed my entire interior and the results were amazing. I get tons of complements. Make sure you really do a good job prepping the parts. I de greased mine several times before I sprayed them.
I just bought the spray on dye from MidAm. I did not use a clear. The results were awesome.

:steering: Stew

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic Dying

Quick Reply: Plastic Dying