C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 05:51 PM
mp77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help.

Ok. Today I tried to crank up the new motor for the first time, finally. It turned over until gas got to the carb, and then just backfired gasoline out of the carb several times. I must have the distributor stabbed wrong. I stabbed it with the number one piston at TDC and the rotor pointing at number one spark plug wire. Did I miss something? Is this not the correct way? :cheers:
Old 12-18-2002, 06:06 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help. (mp77)

Got briefed on timing alot recently. Did the same thing, stabbed the distributor wrong and had to find the right tooth. Maybe advance or retard the distributor in the tooth its in......

From what I learned, and I may have this wrong, back through the carb means retard. (No pun intended) :)

Fromwhat I recall, we had the rotor pointing at "just before" no. 1 plug wire at TDC.

[Modified by 71,454,4spd, 5:07 PM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 06:09 PM
George Dickel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it was TDC on the compression stroke because it sounds like the timing is still off. The piston could have been on the exhaust stroke instead.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:20 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mp77,
Check out Lars paper on how to set your timing. You can find it at http://www.corvettefaq.com in the engine section.
I had the same problem when I went to start mine the first time. You are probably only a tooth off or 180 degrees off.
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:22 PM
mp77
Racer

Default Re: First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help. (George Dickel)

Are you sure it was TDC on the compression stroke because it sounds like the timing is still off. The piston could have been on the exhaust stroke instead.
I held my finger on number one plug hole as I turned the crank and the compression pushed my finger away. :cheers:
Old 12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really doesn't matter where the rotor points, if you install the distributor just install #1 wire on the terminal where the rotor points at TDC #1. Just make sure you're not on TDC before intake stroke.

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 5:33 PM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 07:19 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

I held my finger on number one plug hole as I turned the crank and the compression pushed my finger away. :cheers:
That's kind of a tough way to do it. Bring the balancer to 0 deg. remove the right valve cover and look at # 6. When you rock the balancer 5 deg on either side of 0 the exh. will open before 0 and the intake will open after 0. If this happens set at 0 and you are at TDC #1. If there is no movement of the valves at # 6 when rocking you are on TDC #6. Turn the crank 1 revolution, you will be on #1, use this point on your distributor ( where the rotor points) as #1. Set your plug wires in order and it will start. As stated above it makes no differance which cap hole you use for # 1 to start it and break in the cam. You can re stab the distributor later.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help. (Bob Blackmon)

And if that doesn't do it check your plug wires to make sure there not crossed. It's pretty easy to do if you still have all the covers on.

Get notified of new replies

To First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help.

Quick Reply: First attempt at cranking up new motor a no go--help.