C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a valve adjustment...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 04:46 PM
ericshaw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a valve adjustment...

Whats the correct torque on the rocker arms for a 400sb?
Old 12-18-2002, 05:32 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: I need a valve adjustment... (ericshaw)

uh -- there is no "torque" setting.

Assuming you have a hydraulic cam:
You can adjust them while the car is running at idle. Get the clips or plugs for the rocker arms to keep oil somewhat (yeah, right!! ) under control.

Once running, back the nut off until it starts to rattle a bit, then tighten about 3/4 of a turn. You will be able to hear when they start to rattle. You want to take up the slack and get rid of the rattle and then give it another 3/4 turn. Do that for each rocker and you will be set.

For solid cams: contact the cam manufacture for the settings on how much gap should be between the rocker arm and the valve, and how to set them to their specs.

Good luck and enjoy the oil bath and smoke show !
Old 12-18-2002, 06:16 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 1/2 turn after the knocking stops myself but its all a matter of choice. You'll see answers from 1/4 to a full turn.

You should read Lars article on "How to adjust Valve Lash." Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and go to the engine section. You will find it in there. He has an easy way to do it without running the engine. I like to do it with the engine running. Its faster but a lot messier.

This is definately a do it yourself job!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect anti - messy valve lash adj.... procure a doner valve cover and cut the center portion of the top off, install, start car, adj. lash, re-install CORVETTE valve covers. Job done, no oily mess. Cost = $5.00 my .02 :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To I need a valve adjustment...

Quick Reply: I need a valve adjustment...