C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:30 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move

a friend has asked me to get her '72 240Z running for her. she had trouble with the rear lights not working so she just parked it. it sat for 3 years and had bad gas. i refurbished the carbs, replaced the rubber fuel lines and fuel filter and got the bad gas out of the tank. now it will run (although still not right) but i can put it in any gear and it won't move. i have even put it in gear and gotten out and looked underneath the car to see if the drive shaft is turning (wheels choked of course). drive shaft doens't turn.
the real kicker is the manual says that for stick shift cars you can roll the engine over to adjust valves by jacking up the back, putting it in gear and spinning a wheel and that will turn the engine. i had the rear on jackstands and crawled underneath it. i could turn the rear wheel (doesn't matter which one) and the drive shaft doesn't turn. what the hell is that? i could see the clutch not engaging and that is why the car won't move but why does it seem the R&P are not engaging? i'm assuming this is pretty much a standard type differential. maybe a viscous coupling or something?
anyway, you guys have any ideas? also, anybody actually have any personal experience on balancing carburaters?
Old 12-18-2002, 12:41 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move (clutchdust)

My guess is that it has an open diff, which would mean for the wheel thing to work, one wheel has to be on the ground. With both rear wheels spinning, the rear brakes are free. Have you checked to see if the front brakes are free? Also it sounds like you are working on a car with an auto tranny, you many want to change the fluid and filter in the tranny. If the tranny is too low you won't go anywhere. Can't help with the carb balancing. :cheers:
Old 12-19-2002, 11:20 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move (Ed T)

i'll have to give that a try (with the rope thing). now, think about this. i had the engine running with the car in gear and i went no where. i had the back end in the air and the car in gear and turning the rear wheels, the drive shaft doesn't turn. maybe it is an open diff but i thought these were posi units. seems a waste to me to make an independent rear suspension with a peg-leg. i'll give them a try.
i still need to talk to my friend who owns the car and see how much she's willing to put into the car. if she has other things going, i might just buy it off her. i had about a two hour drive yesterday and all i could think about was a 4.3L vortec v-6 with a t-5 tranny and some 17" wheels. ;) :steering:
Old 12-19-2002, 11:26 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move (clutchdust)

as much as i like my 4.3L, i like my 5.7 more... do a 350 and a t-56 now that would be :cool: :D
Old 12-19-2002, 11:59 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move ('79ProwlerOrange)

it's all about the balance, ben! :steering: i'm looking for an exceptional handling car that weighs as close to 2000lbs (or less) that i can get. weight is your enemy in all aspects of performance. i have known a few people who have installed 5.0 fords and SBCs in these cars and they are definately screamers but the addtional weight and torque is more than the cars were ever designed to handle. now i think i can get a solid 250+ hp from a 4.3L (remember, it's just a 350 minus 2 cylinders) so the parts are out there. i mount that dude all the way back against the firewall, throw on the 17"s plus some dynalites and bilstiens and i'd betcha the thing would run with c-4s and c-5s :yesnod:
Old 12-19-2002, 12:04 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

yea, but i am a power hungy drag feind. :lol: those syclones and typhoon motors are supposed to have close to 350hp, so i have nooooo doubts about 250. hell mine is 190 stock.

do an LS1. All aluminum, weighs a little more than a 4.3, but it'll rumble, not hum! :cheers: im not knocking you idea by any means either, ive seen the 5.0s and 5.7s in those things and i was in awe. a 4.3 would be very nice. i just couldn't get past it humming by a rumbling C5 :lol: :jester

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 10:04 AM 12/19/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:40 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move ('79ProwlerOrange)

you must have never heard a *HOT* 4.3. they don't sound anything at all like a regular v-6. remember: 350-2 cylinders. a set of headers, nice cam and EFI and they sound nasty! it's all about the balance. well, there might be a little bit of twisted enjoyment in spanking some big iron with a six :blush:
Old 12-19-2002, 12:58 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Nope i have never heard of the hot 4.3L i am gonna take this to email though, because we sorta hijacked your topic. :lol: i do want to leanr more though because having a 4.3L i want to get as much power out of it as possible.

Get notified of new replies

To (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move

Quick Reply: (O/T general mechanical) car sat for 3 years, engine runs but car won't move