C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Tell if a Lean Mixture Caused Your Jet-Hot Headers to Peel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:31 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default How To Tell if a Lean Mixture Caused Your Jet-Hot Headers to Peel?

My Jet-Hot headers peeled on #7 header pipe a week after I installed them. I found that after working with Lars on my mixture settings that I was off by about '1 step' on the main jets and primary metering rods. To add uncertainty, there was a defect with the left header (in question) at Jet-Hot that caused a re-spray. I'm thinking that I have to call Jet-Hot today to see what they can tell me. I had to pull the left header anyway to get the trans out to solve my 'brand x' transmission issues so I'm half-way there already.

In the meantime, any info will be appreciated.

Called Jet-Hot and they say warranty covers it. Ship to Mississippi for strip and re-coat (they will also do the other header for free to make them match). Now to pay for packaging and shipping...

[Modified by TedH, 8:49 AM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 09:31 AM
lason
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How To Tell if a Lean Mixture Caused Your Jet-Hot Headers to Peel? (TedH)

IMO if only one header is peeling and it is directly related to your rich/lean mixture then I would think all your headers would be affected some how and not just one tube. Since it is only one tube maybe there might be a problem with that cylinder? I would also think though that JetHot screwed up because I have seen JetHot's finish GLOW RED behind a turbo system spooled to 8000 rpm's and it still didnt flake or nothing. Hope this helps some.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:04 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: How To Tell if a Lean Mixture Caused Your Jet-Hot Headers to Peel? (lason)

Jet-Hot agrees with you. They said it is covered under the warranty. I just have to send the header back to have it and the other header re-coated (I pay shipping to them). The cost for the re-coating and return to me is covered by the warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To How To Tell if a Lean Mixture Caused Your Jet-Hot Headers to Peel?

Quick Reply: How To Tell if a Lean Mixture Caused Your Jet-Hot Headers to Peel?