C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:31 AM
WeasleVette454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions...

Any suggestions to make things easier (besides hiring out to be done).!!!
Thanks.
Excited Weasle :thumbs:
Old 12-18-2002, 08:41 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions... (WeasleVette454)

Get the install kit and tools and dive in! I've seen posts from others that demonstrate patience and attention to detail by us 'novices' can yield a very high quality seat cover installation. One item that I made note of was the recommended use of a garbage bag between the leather and the foam when fitting/positioning; once you have the cover where you want it on the foam, the post indicated that you can easily pull out the garbage bag/plastic. Apparently, stretching the leather over the foam can be made difficult by the propensity for the foam to 'snag' the leather covering.

You might want to look in the archives for posts about this procedure.

Good luck! :seeya
Old 12-18-2002, 08:59 AM
vette69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions... (WeasleVette454)

Just the other day, somebody here on the forum mailed out some articles to a few people doing just what you are doing. There was an article in a recent magazine showing step by step instructions for recovering seats.

[Modified by vette69, 7:59 AM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 09:07 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The June and July issues of Car&Parts Corvette magazine have great articles and pics on the install of seat covers on sharks.I have the June article that shows how to install the bottom cover which I can fax to you.
Since I don't have the july issue which shows the seatback install but maybe someone else can help you on that issue.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:20 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions... (vette69)

Just the other day, somebody here on the forum mailed out some articles to a few people doing just what you are doing.
That would be me. As 69er mentioned, there is an excellent 3-part series of articles in Cars and Parts Corvette showing how to completely restore a set of seats from a '69. It covers lots of details like how to best remove the covers, what parts to save to use for templates when you reinstall, etc.

I mailed out about 4 copies to folks here who asked for them. Look for a post by TonyQT titled "seat questions" od something like that. I won't be able to send out any more copies for a while since I'm traveling for the holidays, but maybe one of those guys in that post could "pay it forward" and send you a copy. Or go to http://www.carsandpartscorvette.com and buy the back issues from April, June, and August 2002.

Shannon

Get notified of new replies

To SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions...

Quick Reply: SANTA brought new foam padding and seat covers! Any suggestions...