C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Felpro BB gasket sets??? R.A.C.E.????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:21 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Felpro BB gasket sets??? R.A.C.E.????

My wife asked me the yesterday why I hadn't been working on the BB recently!! I had to swallow an entire bottle of nitroglycerin for the chest pains and put my head in a bag to keep from hyperventilating! :lol: :lol: :lol:
After an hour of therapy I answered that with the holidays and running the girls here & there, time wasn't available. So now it's Dammm the torpedos, full steam ahead!! :lol: :lol: I just got Papal approval to continue the BB assembly!

I was checking out the Felpro engine gasket sets and there are two listings in JEG's. One states #375-2804 oval intake-square exhaust for $112.99. (which is what I have) The other states #375-2703 R.A.C.E for $23.99. What does R.A.C.E. mean??? :confused: Remainder to Assemble Complete Engine???? :confused: What's in the second set that isn't in the first set???

Thanks
Len

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 6:22 AM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Felpro BB gasket sets??? R.A.C.E.???? (1970 Stingray)

Hi Len,

The second set has everything that's not in the first set :lol: :lol:

The Summit website describes it: Chevrolet: R.A.C.E. gasket set

Fel-Pro understands that there are many combinations of parts and port sizes in a high performance engine. This R.A.C.E. (Remainder to Assemble Complete Engine) gasket set allows you to purchase the correct gaskets for your particular application separately, but still get all the commonly used gaskets to complete your rebuild. It typically includes gaskets and seals for the water pump, timing cover, fuel pump, thermostat housing, oil pump gasket, and rear main seal.

Basically, the RACE kit includes all the generic gaskets that aren't engine specific. The big, complete gasket kits are really intended for stock rebuild type engines. Most people building a performance engine want the exact head, intake, header, etc., gaskets that fit their engine displacement and usage so they don't leave hp on the table. How do you know which head gaskets you're getting in those kits? Bore size, compressed thickness? Have you mocked up your deck height so that you get the correct quench height (a combination of gasket thickness and piston height at TDC)? If you spend some quality time with that motor now, you'll have more hp for years to come. :cheers:
Old 12-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Felpro BB gasket sets??? R.A.C.E.???? (Flareside)

Thanks Joe. I just checked with GMPP and I'm going to use the intake & head gaskets they recommend for the aluminum heads I'm using. I guess I'll just need the RACE set then. But maybe not, I think gaskets come with the water pump, fuel pump...I dunno, I'll check those out. Thanks.

Quality time??? Heck, I've been very intimate with my BB....and I have the lubricant stains to prove. :eek: :eek: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Felpro BB gasket sets??? R.A.C.E.????

Quick Reply: Felpro BB gasket sets??? R.A.C.E.????