C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing down rattles! What a PITA!

Old 12-18-2002, 12:43 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Chasing down rattles! What a PITA!

I've driven my 'vette to work the last two days, it has been an uneventful experience, everything seems to be workings as it should, but I have noticed several annoying rattles and clunks. I chased the clunks down to a loose exhaust pipe hanger, I fixed that pretty easily. Then I started trying to find a small rattle coming from the rear of the car. I thought it was coming from the exhaust, but quickly determined it was coming from dead center in the back apparently from under the spare tire carrier.
I dropped the tire and started shaking the car again and I can still hear it. It is sort of a tap-tap-tap, but I can't locate where it is coming from. It almost sounds like something is hanging down and tapping against something when the car is rocked.
I don't know what else to look at, but I'll look again tomorrow evening then I'll start looking at odd noises from the front end of the car. It never ends does it?
Old 12-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Chasing down rattles! What a PITA! (Smokehouse69)

Sender in the gas tank? Gas tank itself....straps, etc? Chuck
Old 12-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Chasing down rattles! What a PITA! (Smokehouse69)

Fuel gauge sender? Something in the gas tank? The tank itself or its' straps, etc? Chuck

Wierd...posted the first time..."flood protected", so I posted again, now both posts show up. ???

[Modified by Chuck Gongloff, 9:32 AM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Chasing down rattles! What a PITA! (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck, I haven't looked very hard at the tank. Last week when I was diagnosing a failed fuel pump, I looked into the tank with a flashlight and everything seemed to be in place, but I'm going to check it again.
The tank straps are in good shape and the tank is tight, it was replaced 3 years ago (right before I purchased the car) and straps, insulators and tank appear like new.
I'll find it eventually, even if it takes a frame-off to get to it. :D I'm very **** about things like this. Loud or constant sounds don't bother me at all, but little random noises like this drive me crazy, I guess it's just another sign of my pyschotic behavior. :crazy: :D

Get notified of new replies

To Chasing down rattles! What a PITA!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chasing down rattles! What a PITA!