C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 09:57 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...?

I bought a 'brand-x' (vendor name withheld for now) Transmission and upon installation in the fall of 2001, it proceeded to leak. Over the course of the past year, I've replaced three pan gaskets thinking that would solve it. I also replaced the rear slip yoke that was leaking and replaced the TH350 cooling lines with the 700R4 lines for the '82 vette. No luck, still had trans fluid on the floor of my garage. I then resorted to a trans shop here in Tampa. They (claimed to have) replaced the tail shaft seal, selector shaft seal, speed-o seal and the pan gasket. They recommended the slip yoke be replaced which I purchased from Bow-Tie; no more rear tailshaft leak. But the trans kept exhibiting a leak from the front of the transmission. Last week, I pulled the pan (for the third time) and installed a nice new chrome pan and a rubber gasket. No surprise, still leaked.

At this point, I'm fed up with the local trans shop that told me there was no front shaft leak (ok, there wasn't) although the trans continued to leak after I got it back from them. So, I perform the worst-case scenario for me and I drop the 700R4 onto the floor this past Sunday. Shortly thereafter, I pull the front seal and install a new National Federal Mogul seal since that was the reason for the removal (to replace the final potential source for the leak since all of the other seals had been replaced...). I also wipe the entire case down and remove all signs of fluid, set it up on the workbench with a catch pan below on the floor, add the dipstick tube, and pour 4 qts of fluid in. I watch Mon and Tues.

By Monday night I have a good idea what the problem is. The selector shaft seal is leaking. I pull the selector off of the shaft to find that either 'brand x' transmissions OR the transmission shop (not even sure if they replaced it at this point) had not completely installed the selector seal; it was half-on, half-off the selector shaft. So, I nudge it the rest of the way on, wipe off the pan rail and watch for leaks. A few hours later, there is a little puddle forming below the selector shaft. The seal isn't solving the problem and I now suspect the shaft is permanently scored by either the Trans shop or worse 'brand x' as I suspect this to have been the core of my problem from the get-go.

Now, up to this point, I've had a real hard time trusting 'brand x' enough to ask advice to solve the problem since, in my opinion, they sent me a trans that leaked from day one. I installed this transmission by myself and the last thing I wanted to do was ship it back to them so they could figure out why it was leaking. I systematically eliminated all of the ways that I could have contributed to the leak (old trans lines replaced with new lines, slip yoke replaced since it had been leaking, repeated pan gasket replacements thinking that was the problem). To be honest, I didn't trust 'brand x' since I had paid them nearly $1600 for a transmission kit that featured a leaking transmission.

So, what do I do, I send them an e-mail describing the situation and the guy jumps all over me for not reporting this sooner and the fact that they don't have any phone records of my having reported a leaking transmission. As far as I am concerned, I voided their warranty since I didn't follow their instructions to the letter for the install and I'm also a little paranoid from the whole situation. So, I ask for their advice and get hammered for not reporting this to them sooner. At this point I just want to fix the darn thing and send them a note that I'll gladly pay for a new selector shaft and seal since I'm stuck with the transmission and just want to get the thing back into the vette and clear the garage for the other vette (sitting outside due to trans and associated parts spread over the garage).

All along, I figured that I was stuck with this trans and blamed myself for trusting the 'brand x' outfit would deliver a transmission that doesn't leak in the first place. That's why I didn't ask for their help. Also, since I had tried so many things to solve the problem and was embarrassed to have to go to them for help after exhausting all options.

I'm not even asking 'brand x' for free parts. Just good quality replacement parts that I can pay for. Sorry for the long rant. Been a tough two weeks at work and this transmission has been a constant source of frustration and depression for the past year.

More than the cylinder heads that I dropped about $900 on back in November, this was the biggest single purchase (about $1700) for the vette since I purchased it in '97. To say I'm embarrassed and having a hard time trusting transmission outfits by any name is an understatement.

:seeya
Old 12-17-2002, 10:23 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...? (TedH)

Ted,

I don't see what a constant leak right from the beginning has to do with following the install directions to the letter. I would slam them back if I was in your shoes, regardless of "who" installed it, the policy of "follow our directions to the letter or your warranty is voided" is crap...to a point, it's not hard to bolt a trans to a motor....well unless you don't have a jack I suppose. If I can do it almost anyone should be able to :D And their install directions pertain to just the pressure set up as far as I know, maybe they have some magic way of having you put bolts in :rolleyes:

By not reporting to them right away then trying to fix it yourself, well I could see that as voiding the warranty. But not changing a pan gasket or something simple like that. Still, with all the trouble you've had they should have been a bit nicer about it.

I've been watching your posts and early on I kind of wondered what the deal was, especially from a reputable place, a brand new trans shouldn't give you as much trouble as yours has. I had mine built and installed locally for $1286 and that included tax. It also came with a 1 year warranty that if I broke down in the middle of bubbaville it would still be covered. So far it's been 2 years with not a single problem, not a single drop of fluid on the garage floor, and I've even done some huge burnouts and about 6 full blast runs at the strip, driven to Kentucky and back with crazy Brutus driving and several trips here in Florida.

Did you contact Tim down here? If so what did he have to say? If you want to deal with him either in fixing or just getting you some parts I'll be happy to help out, just let me know if you need any help.

Not to let out the big secret, but I'm sure we all know "who" "brand-x" is by now :lol:
Old 12-18-2002, 08:18 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...? (C3 Shark Tank)

Scott,

That was my problem from the beginning: Assuming that I had done something wrong in the pressure test and setup/installation (too much internal pressure, too much/too little fluid, wrong trans lines from my TH350, leaking slip yoke). All of the things that I 'assumed' to have caused the leaks to occur in the first place (due to my fault). And I spent the last year or so attempting to eliminate the causes when I probably should have got on the phone and started yelling (at least then, I would have made it into their 'system').

I'd really like to get this leak sorted out first (and the trans back in the car) before I engage Tim for help. At this point, I just want to end the leak and then work with Tim to see what can be done about the TVS/hard 1-2 shifts. I'll probably get the TVez kit from 'brand x' (LOL) and see about having Tim set it up on the car.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:36 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Brand-x (Bow-Tie) is going to send a new replacement selector shaft and seal. I'll install them after I get the trans back into the car as I'll need to drain the trans and drop the pan to replace the shaft and seal.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:30 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you, I currently have a leaky "brand-x" tranny. I wish these guys would develop a list of vendor-approved shops around the country. That way we could have the tranny installed without worrying about having the job done "letter-perfect."

Mine's in the shop right now, too. I'm still waiting to hear the word from them about the leak(s).

By the way, the TV Made EZ system really does work. I absolutely LOVE the way my tranny shifts. It goes up when I want it to. And the other day, it took me from 3rd to 2nd...then to 1st as I was accelerating. Hard and fast! The car got up and went!!! :D
Old 12-19-2002, 10:33 AM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

as a maniac we all goof once in a while you should of informed sooner
so they could correct the problem it is great they are sending your parts
docmow
Old 12-19-2002, 10:47 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...? (docmow)

Agreed. I took much too long trying to figure it out myself. Lesson learned.

:seeya
Old 12-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, regardless of whether the leak was a result of what you did or a faulty product, don't be afraid to ask them for advice. A reputable company will still have its share of problem parts. Mistakes happen. As a business owner, I tend to get more upset when problems are NOT brought to my attention. A good company will work with you, sometimes even if you (the customer) are at fault. It seems that to be the case in this instance. Better for them to make you happy (at the cost of the part), than to risk future loss of business.

As far as not knowing how to tell a supplier you don't trust them - Just tell them. Seems like a Sh%&^ thing to do, but I cannot fix my business if I am not told what's wrong. The company will work to gain your trust. Been there done that myself.

Just be sure to be polite. PITA customers get nada, the polite ones are gold and I will do almost anything to keep them happy.

Glad it worked out.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:08 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a transmission fail after one year from the rebuild date. Of course the warrantee just expired. So I decided to order a B&M Street/Strip trans. Put it in and for 6 months no problem. Then one day I'm doing 65 mph on the highway and the tach hits 5000,speed starts to drop. Of course I'm 150 miles from home when this happens,so I find a 24 hour truck stop,and have them pull the pan,change the filter and fluid. Made it home,and the next day called B&M for a return. They agreed to pay for the repair. I shipped the trans UPS to California. Several weeks later I hear nothing from them so I call to find out how things are and they say the trans arrived in about 800 pieces. Seems UPS dropped the trans off a loading dock,and so B&M says they won't honor the warantee. I said your damn right you're going to honor the warantee. The reason the trans is out of the car in the first place is because it failed. I ended up putting in a claim to UPS and eventually got the trans back. The car is still running the same transmission now for three years now,so life is good! Bottom line is if the supplier won't make good for his goods,shop somewhere else.But realize stuff happens to EVERYONE. :cry

Get notified of new replies

To How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...?

Quick Reply: How to Tell a Part Supplier That You Don't Trust Them...?