C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot

Since I just spent a bit of money on new paint I figure what the hell what is another 70 bucks for polish....I will express my honest opinions on the results based on other products I have used......The Stuff certainly must have a CULT like following for a reason
Old 12-17-2002, 03:18 PM
RoyArms
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot (Alwyn678)

yup :thumbs:
Old 12-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard it's pretty good, but I can guarentee that it's only as good as the person using it. C5 guys drink the stuff.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:24 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot (Stingy74)

I need to invest on some quality product as soon as I have my car painted, anyone using Autoglym?
:cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 04:29 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I just spent a bit of money on new paint I figure what the hell what is another 70 bucks for polish....I will express my honest opinions on the results based on other products I have used......The Stuff certainly must have a CULT like following for a reason

:thumbs:
I'm a Zainoholic or what my buddy Jerry(gq82) calls me a "Zaino Zealot"! :yesnod:

[Modified by 69er, 5:02 PM 12/17/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 04:53 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot (69er)

I broke down recently and bought some and tried it too. Please follow the steps or it will not turn out as nice.

I'm not sure its that much better than the Auto Magic show polish/wax I have used in the past. I do think it is better than Mequire's Show Car stuff, though.

One thing I will say about the Zaino is that it does a nice job of repelling dust...which is my biggest pet peeve b/c both my Vettes are not my daily drivers, and yet opening the garage door a few times usually provides enough dust to make them look dirty again. :( The Zaino helps repel airborn dust/dirt better than anything I've ever used before.

I know what you mean about the "cult following". :crazy: :lol:
Old 12-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot (WA 2 FST)

One thing I will say about the Zaino is that it does a nice job of repelling dust...which is my biggest pet peeve b/c both my Vettes are not my daily drivers, and yet opening the garage door a few times usually provides enough dust to make them look dirty again. :( The Zaino helps repel airborn dust/dirt better than anything I've ever used before.

The Dust Repel is quite a nice feature....Does it really last as long as they say it does......Which products did you use?? I bought the ZFX the Z-2...The Z-5 Z-6 and Z-7
Old 12-17-2002, 05:09 PM
69er
Team Owner

The Dust Repel is quite a nice feature....Does it really last as long as they say it does......Which products did you use?? I bought the ZFX the Z-2...The Z-5 Z-6 and Z-7
If I may add my take on Zaino.
It lasts very long.
3 coats should do it.
Goes on and off easy with no white residue.
ZFX,Z-2,Z-6 and Z-7 work well.
I haven't had much luck with the Z-5.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm NO waxer. A friend gave me a set of Zaino products. Used it on my 69, and I have to say it's the best shine I've ever gotten. Easy to use too. I followed the directions to a "T". Car still looks great. Made a believer out of me. Chuck
Old 12-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You be the judge. This is my Zaino'ed 1979.

[Modified by paul79, 9:17 PM 12/17/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 09:27 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot (paul79)

Al... How long has paint been on the body? you dont want to wax it too soon after paint. i think a month is a safe ammount of time.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:33 PM
69er
Team Owner

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot ('79ProwlerOrange)

I waited 2 weeks after my paintjob.
I called Sal Zaino and he said todays ureathane paints dry fast.No solvents to vent off like older versions of paint.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot ('79ProwlerOrange)

Four weeks. Paint does not dry these days. That is DuPont Chroma Premier base/clear. There is a catalytic reaction between the two coats and it is basically "dry" in two days. The first Zaino coat sealed it before the dust set in. Never looked back. Nothing gets into that paint.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:31 PM
vette69
Instructor

Zaino is the best. I have 8 year old paint that I used to use the3 step Meguiars on. It looked great then. Now it looks much better. The gloss is much greater and deeper. It does a little, no, make that a lot more effort though. I took over a week to completely apply the Zaino. It was definitely worth it.

YMMV.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:21 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Well, since your paint is new you obviously do not need to clean it right now. Tha being said you need to use the "bonding agent" on the first coat. I think that is Z-1. You only need to do this once. It goes on _really_ easy...and you don't even have to let it dry before applying your first coat of whatever polish you choose. I have put on two coats of Z-2 and it is great. I bought some Z-5 but have not used it yet. Really no need to on paint that is new and fresh (in my opinion).

First coat of Z-2 lasted through about 5-6 washes and still was beading great. I mean the water runs off the car...better than beading up. It's pretty amazing. I was shocked (b/c I didn't buy into the hype for one minute). I just put another coat of Z-2 on...b/c its so easy to apply and I had some free time. ;)

If your car is garaged and doesn't see a lot of airborn contaminants/rain water, then I would say doing 2-3 coats a year would be fine. Really the additional coats are just to add some depth to the shine more than anything else.

<---was a very skeptical user going in
Old 12-18-2002, 04:54 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

The anti-static-ness of Zaino is worth the $ alone for our plastic cars. :thumbs:
Old 12-18-2002, 05:56 AM
Yeller81
Instructor

Default Re: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot (Turbo-Jet)

Did my 81 and it looks great the only problem was the car grew !!! I thought it was a Limo before I got done . Glad I didn't have a SUV to do .
Old 12-18-2002, 08:35 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Al... How long has paint been on the body? you dont want to wax it too soon after paint. i think a month is a safe ammount of time.
I has been about two months now......However they say with the new paints that you can do it in as little as a week....

Get notified of new replies

To I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot

Quick Reply: I broke down and I am gonna give the ZAINO a shot