C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (77) Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Omega1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (77) Vette

Been a long time, but glad to be back. The 427 is progressing nicely as i now have a finished block, crank, and cam. The heads, pistons, and rods were sent away and should e back within a month. after that it's time for assembly! This is really all fine and dandy, but from what i keep reading, it looks like i might get a run or 2 out of the car before i grenade something drivetrain wise...The motor is a clone of an L88 and as such will be producing that kind of power. I know the stock parts will not withstand such punishment for long...what are my options here, and the links to the products? i wanna do this right...and only do it once...
Old 12-17-2002, 01:26 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (77) Vette (Omega1)

I've had a 500hp 454 in my car for many years now and the stock drive train can take lot of punishment! I haven't ahd a single problem with the drive train, I use my car for all kinds of driving, cruising, autocross and drag racing.
But if you still want to beef up your drivetrain you should contact Tom's Differential. :yesnod:
Old 12-17-2002, 01:29 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (groovyjay)

I've had a 500hp 454 in my car for many years now and the stock drive train can take lot of punishment! I haven't ahd a single problem with the drive train, I use my car for all kinds of driving, cruising, autocross and drag racing.
But if you still want to beef up your drivetrain you should contact Tom's Differential. :yesnod:
:iagree:
I think they build "real" 12 bolts for the vette...I bought my HD cover from them.. :cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Omega1
Instructor

Default Re: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (BB wowbagger)

so what can so many people be doing wrong if the stock drivetrain can support this level of power? it only makes me wonder... :confused:
Old 12-17-2002, 02:05 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (Omega1)

One thing that will kill the drivetrain is when people sidestep the clutch at +5ooo rpms and havent picked up the slack.That will kill anything..The diff and tranny can take alot of punishment,but the weakpoint is the halfshafts and spindles(sp?) :cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 02:18 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (77) Vette (Omega1)

I have abused my stock drive train for 13 years and that includes huge slicks behind a big block. I did blow 3 700R-4's and 4 torque convertors with the slicks but never a drive shaft, rearend or halfshafts. In a recent check of the axles I found them twisted, not broke but twisted , so I replaced them.
If you don't dump the clutch with slicks or power shift most parts will live. If you blow something then replace it.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:22 PM
Omega1
Instructor

Default Re: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (norvalwilhelm)

so basically it's just stupid people giving the parts a bad name...for some reason that doesn't supprise me, since so far the car has stood up to everything i've put it through....and being 19...you can bet it's been alot...

Get notified of new replies

To Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (77) Vette

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Upgrades for C3 (77) Vette