C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering leak - 76 vette, c3 newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 01:06 PM
derek325is
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak - 76 vette, c3 newbie

hi, i come from the world of BMW's. I am attempting to fix a PS leak on my girlfriend's corvette while she is out of town for xmas. I flipped thru the haynes manual, but it wasn't of much help. I have yet to pop the hood, I am going to pick the car up after work today. Are there common leaks in the PS system? How is the system setup? Any info would be appreciated as I have 0 experience working on american cars.

thanks -derek Boston MA

no sig pic for the vette yet

Old 12-17-2002, 01:34 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: power steering leak - 76 vette, c3 newbie (derek325is)

Could be anything,pump,hoses,controlvalve,PS cylinder.Most common is pump or that the hoses has been rubbing against each other.Clean everything up with a good degreaser and start the car.Turn the steering wheel a couple of times and check for leaks.. :cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 01:39 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

I own a 76 and am well aware of the power steering leaks.

The most common areas for PS leaks is the power steering valve.

This is located under the carh, just inside the drivers side front tire. The O rings go bad in this and it will have to be replaced or rebuilt with a kit.

The other common areas are of course the hoses that come out of this valve and go to the rest of the PS system. These need to be replaced (not repared)
Be careful to not the placement of these hoses when taking them off, so that you do not experience any binding with the replacement hoses.

These are the elements that I have had experience with, if it is the pump (out in front of the block with the pulley, it will be an obviouse replacement.

Good luck! :cheers:
TJ
Old 12-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

I don't know if it is just me or not, but I've noticed that if someone, like some of those old schoolers, put ATF fluid in the resovoirs, they tend to leak. Once I get it out and replace with the right fluid, power steering fluid, it seems to stop. :steering:
Old 12-20-2002, 07:47 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Pretty simple set-up. Basically 4 parts to the system. Hoses, pump, control valve and ram. Any or all may be leaking depending on age. A PITA to get to unless you get the car up on a set of ramps or up on a lift. As others have said, wipe it really clean, start/drive and check for leaks. Good news is parts should be readily available and probably, a whole lot less expensive then they are for a BMW! Remember, you may drink only Budweiser when working on a Vette, no Becks or St. Pauli Girl !!! :skep:
Old 12-20-2002, 08:25 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: power steering leak - 76 vette, c3 newbie (R. Bruno)

Speaking of power steering leaks...

When I was jacking up the driver's side wheel to change the aluminum rims back to rallys I noticed a steady drip of power steering fluid. There was no noticable leak(fluid on the floor) before I did that. I got underneath while the rim was off and noticed fluid dripping off of one of the hoses. After I lowered the car the leak stopped, so I figured that one of the hoses must have given away in the 13 years of storage of this car. Any expert opinions on this? I will let you know that one weekend I ended up at a dead end street and had to do some real sharp turns(full steering turns) to get out of it and by the time I got home the power steering unit had blown out all of the fluid and it was beginning to whine.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering leak - 76 vette, c3 newbie

Quick Reply: power steering leak - 76 vette, c3 newbie