C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever had this snap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:01 AM
bbeck
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody ever had this snap?

Anybody ever snapped their rear crossmember where the trailing arm from the rear differential connects to it? I snapped mine shifting into second. And no, it's not a rusty frame/crossmember.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:27 AM
71vettman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anybody ever had this snap? (bbeck)

I experienced the same thing. My frame did have some rust before I rebuilt it but nothing severe. It happened to me when I was a little ways into first gear and then proceded to give it full throtle for the first time ever. :smash: I knew somthing was wrong when I let off the gas and it would make a horrible noise from the rear. It would only happen when I let the engine slow the car. The bracket thats welded to the frame split at the end and cracked on either side of the rubber mount. because this metal was pushed way up the drive shaft would hit the metal when the front of the rear end would twist toward the ground. I cut the rest off right at the crossmember and welded one on off of another vette.
Kevin

Quick Reply: Anybody ever had this snap?