C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I choose a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:51 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I choose a tire?

I have pretty much settled on 17'' TTII's. (I am guessing by everyones input 17X8 with 4'' backspace will bolt right on.) Size I am guessing will be aprox 255 50 17s. I will research what will give proper clearance and height in more detail. But with so many tire options(brand and model), how do I choose? Is there any way to compare tires apples for apples? My uses are an agressive street tire. I will probably never go over 100. (at least for more than a few seconds) I want good handling and ride. Wet traction is not a issue as I dont drive it in the rain. I dont even know where to begin to determine what is good or not. Sounds silly but the look of the tread pattern is about all that I am guessing on right now. Suggestions?
Old 12-17-2002, 03:00 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Default Re: How do I choose a tire? (DollaGreen)

ttt
Old 12-17-2002, 03:13 PM
derek325is
3rd Gear

Default www.tirerack.com

they have reviews for most of their tires, sell every tire, and their tires are dirt cheap. i dont know what to suggest, i am just here collecting info on a corvette i have to do some work on - i like my old bmw's better. i dont know if falken azenis are made in a size that would fit your vette, but they have a pretty cool treat pattern, stick like glue, are cheap, and suck azz in the rain ;)

Old 12-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you want to keep close to a stock tire diamter of 27 inches you will need to get 255/50/17. There are only two companies that make tires in that size. One is Nitto the other is Bridgestone. I am getting the Bridgstones for my car they are the RE 730s. I think some others on the forum have the nittos.

Mark B.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The bridgestones have a very good reputation. I've been seeing quite a few Kuhmo Ecsta tires on performance cars. I have BFG KDSWs on my wife's Mustang and they are excellent.
255/50/17 is the only size I've found that matches 27" OE diameter.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I choose a tire?

Quick Reply: How do I choose a tire?