C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:05 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone done this?

I"ve got some 6"by 9" speakers rolling around in the back, my ? has anyone ever mounted their speakers in the back wall behind the seats? Is this even possible?
Old 12-16-2002, 10:22 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone done this? (vettedreams)

If you could get back there to do what your asking, I think the speakers would be exposed on the back side. I am not sure how much room there is between the wall and the gas tank for you to cut the holes out or if the speaker would fit in there. I built a shelf that sits on top of the wheel wells and mounted two small speaker boxes to it so I would still have enough room to put the T-tops under it.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone done this? (redwingvette)

That would put them right above your rear crossmember, they would be exposed but its an interesting thought. Why don't you like the press-in box? I had one in my old 74 and could still fit the t-tops, etc.

BTW -- drop me an email about that 400 block...

Jack
Old 12-16-2002, 11:16 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone done this? (74jack)

Are the plans in the tips section the press in type that your talking about?
Old 12-16-2002, 11:29 PM
rainman69
Drifting

I bought boxes from Circuit City. They're nice high quality MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) with carpeting on them and the little terminal things. I think they were $60. Work great. :smash:
Old 12-16-2002, 11:36 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I've got boxes with 6x9's in my vert with an Alpine amp in between. The amp is firmly screwed to the rear compartment, but the boxes(carpeted) have strips of velcro underneath them to the carpet in the compartment. They haven't budged since I put them in.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:41 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone done this? (bgrice)

Are those box"s behind the wheel wells?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:53 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny, I was actually thinking about this the other day. Since my entire rear is off the car and everything is clean. I was thinking about adding component speakers in the back by cutting the openings in the fiberglass rather than adding them to the inside and mounting them.

It actually looks like it would be pretty easy to access from underneath the car. I have about 10" between the fiberglass and the gas tank. I could mount a piece of wood on the inside to support a couple of speaker boxes which could be outside the car between the gas tank and the fiberglass. They would have to be VERY well sealed, supported and weather tight, but it could work.

I wonder how much the cutouts from the fiberglass would effect the strength of the back wall??
Is this what you were talking about, or just mounting the 6 by 9's on the back wall, because if that is what you are asking, there are a bunch of people who have done that, myself included. This is a little different and may be an interesting alternative. :D:D

Anyone have any comments?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Has anyone done this? (phoenix)

I have my 6x9's is boxes also and it is nice to pull them out with long speaker wire so you can listen to the stereo while parked somewhere. I was thinking of a way to attach some type of pin like my vert top has so I could pop them in the receivers on the deck lid so I blast them in my ears while cruising. But since I have not cured my radio interference problem yet, having them a little muffled helps quiet the buzz/whine.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Has anyone done this? (Fevre)

I think my press in box is from Ecklers originally. It fits right behind the wheel wells and is removable. I use it now in my 71 convertible and can easily retract the roof on top of it.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:04 PM
riorata
Instructor

Check out this link: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=71&TopicID=3

I did this on my 69, with some trimming at the middle cut, covered with carpet, wedged it behind the wheel wells. The amp bolts the two pieces together and you still have the use of the courtesy light.

works great and still room.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone done this?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done this?