C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Replacement on a '77 L-82 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:05 PM
MarkV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Replacement on a '77 L-82 question

Well, here right after Xmas, I'm going to start on my next project, replacing & repairing AC components. I'm (with a mechanic friend) going to replace the compressor (new, not rebuilt) /condenser/drier/ oriface /evaporator & probably the hoses as well. I'm also going to keep the system R-12. The car is all original & I want to keep it that way. Everything looks pretty straight forward to do EXCEPT that evaporator!! Man, looks like the fender has to be removed to get to it & get it out! I know that's not the case but it sure is a tight area to get to. I've been told to put some freon in the system (its completely dry now) to find the leak(s), but I just want to replace it all & not worry later about any other components going bad......after all most of these parts are 25+ years old! My theory is to replace it all with the correct parts and have the peace of mind that the system is brand new & (should) will work well for years to come. Can anyone tell me what has to be done to get to & replace that evaporator?? :eek: :eek: :D
Old 12-16-2002, 09:11 PM
SLICKMAN
Melting Slicks

Default Re: AC Replacement on a '77 L-82 question (MarkV)

I need to do the same thing; I was wondering how to get that thing out :eek:

[Modified by SLICKMAN, 9:12 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 03:27 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

MarkV,

On my 1980 I am replacing the AC components (also headlight vacuum motors, brake lines, suspension, steering, wiring, etc.) but I pulled the engine/transmission for replacement/repairs.

This is probably not what you want to do, but it looks like a PITA otherwise. Perhaps removing the exhaust manifold would get you some room?

The Dr. Rebuild site/catalog indicates they have instruction sheets that they include with their AC seal kits. Perhaps these have some component removal suggestions.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:59 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

That is indeed a project! I just replaced my heater core and so am quite familiar with the inards of the A/C system. The manual does not show any need to remove fenders and suggests all can be accomplished from the engine compartment. Though it may be easier to work on

I don't believe you stated but the unit you're restoring is an original A/C configuration for that year? Cause the blower motor is different than a non A/C car and a bunch of other parts including the ductwork inside the car along with perhaps a plenum door or two. Your switch is the same but you may have to run the vacuum hoses to the plenum doors and actuators.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:15 AM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my Radiator support, I fitted the condenser on it and put them in as a pair. I think you can get the condenser in without doing that, you'll need to have the Radiator and lower valance out to get access. Another solution might be just loosen the Rad support and tilt it to get access to the hose connections, the mounting bolts are accessible it's the hose connections that are a PITA. Good Luck

Scott
Old 12-17-2002, 06:35 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I've been putting that job off forever for the same reason.

I believe that I asked the same question a while back and was told that "crow's foot" wrenches would work. I'm not sure they will, but I'll probably give them a try because I sure as heck can't figure out any other way to get a wrench down there without taking something big apart :rolleyes:

Good Luck. If you find an easy way to do this PLEASE post it.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have fixed many auto. A/C. It is normally the comp., hoses, or seals. The evaporator is not normally the problem & would strongly advise to not replace it if it is not the problem. You could possibly be opening a Pandora's box w/o reason. :eek:

My 77 A/C works & the only things that have been replaced are the hoses when it was maybe 3 yrs. old & the Comp.- new GM/Chevy after about 10 yrs.

Anyone have any comments about the factory hoses when it was maybe 3 yrs. old needing replacement. Had custom made hoses done.

:cool:
Old 12-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I agree with Ganey, unless you can find difinitive instructions on removing the evaporator core, I'd leave it alone and hope for the best. You might want to replace everything else that you have scheduled for replacement and check for leaks with a vacuum pump, if it holds then your evaporator is probably good.
I can imagine how tough it is, I replaced an evaporator in a 71 Firebird, I ended up cutting an access panel (hole) in the inner fender, to get it out.

I know the urge to replace a 25 year-old part is pretty strong, because you never can be sure it isn't going to give up the ghost at anytime. Well, you can't really trust new parts that much either. I just installed a new crate motor and used all new parts for my accessories. A new AC Delco fuel pump, a new Edelbrock aluminum water pump and a GM gear reduction starter, just to name a few of the parts. All three of those parts failed in the first two days of operation. The first to fail was the fuel pump in less than 10 minutes, after I replaced it with an Autozone "Master" pump, then the water pump started leaking, at first it was a seep after a couple hours the front bearing was wobbling and I replaced it with a no-name aluminum pump from a parts store. Then my $229.00 GM gear reduction starter failed the next day, again I replaced it with a $22.00 Autozone starter.
I'm still waiting for my money back on the new "name brand" parts.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:29 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AC Replacement on a '77 L-82 question (Smokehouse69)

:iagree: I had the "best" shop in town rebuild my A/C. The evaporator and condensor were both fine. Hoses and compressor were not. If it ain't broke, don't replace it. Save your $$$ for stuff that really needs fixin'!

Get notified of new replies

To AC Replacement on a '77 L-82 question

Quick Reply: AC Replacement on a '77 L-82 question