C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:04 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!!

Rather than limit myself to only the Autometers, I found some others that I haven't seen before.

So, to make this thread a little more useful for those that follow me, I decided to link all of the companies in this thread and post an image or two of them here. They all do not make gauges to fit in every position, ie. some make 5" Tach and Speedo, some make 2 1/16" center cluster, some make both and many make neither but have sizes that are close and will work.

So here they are:

Autometer http://www.autometer.com/hp/2001_catalog/racing/65.html

VDO http://www.vdona.com/onlinecatalogs/...gaugehome.html

Nordskog http://www.nordskogperformance.net/dp2001.html

DakotaDigital http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail....TR6D-68C-VETTE

Classic http://www.caigauge.com/Smiths_Classic_Instruments.htm

Classic Intruments http://www.classic-inst.com/seriespkgs.htm

Cyberdyne

ISSPro http://www.issproinc.com/Home/aftermarket.html

Sunpro http://www.sunpro.com/cgi-bin/web_st...=8093872_17730

Stewart Warner http://www.stewartwarner.com/Products/prod1.html

American Products company http://www.4apc.net/home.htm

Of course there are others such as the Jegs and Summit line, but above are the big ones I think.

If anyone else has others that they know of, please add them.

For what it's worth, here is a site that you can order VDO, Autometer, ISSPRO and Classic gauges from. http://www.egauges.com/vdo_main.asp
The prices are OK. Summit and Jegs have better prices on the gauges that they both carry, but egauges carries the full lines of these gauges.

Well... another evening wasted sitting at the computer. I hope that this helps and people can refer to this whenever the question of aftermarket gauges again is brought up. :):)

[Modified by phoenix, 10:20 PM 12/30/2002]

[Modified by phoenix, 10:51 PM 12/30/2002]
The following users liked this post:
Corby'sMarilyn68 (03-30-2020)
Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (phoenix)

Those Classic Intruments are nice looking. I would curious to how people handled the turn signals and hi/low beam when replacing the speedo and tach. I know someone has used LEDs placed elsewhere. Any pics?
Old 12-16-2002, 10:55 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (phoenix)

APC...gak :U

Ricer gauges - the Local PepBoys sells that APC gak - yuk :U
Old 12-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (fauxrs)

I like the digital ones. those look cool
Old 12-17-2002, 02:50 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (Justin79-L-82)

I went with the Autometer Sport comp or what ever "the silver finish ones"
Anyways I have replaced the tach and speedometer with 5 inch ones. they sit half way in the original holes, and half way out. The look is really cool. Makes it look more like a Jet cockpit. I want to creat a carbon fiber housing to fit around them and creat more of a tunnel that dissepares into the dash. Who knows though.. Other than that my original idea was going to be all carbon fiber guages, I started with a Boost guage that I replace the stock clock with. the finish looks completly stock, You can't even tell that it's not supposed to be there, But the down side is you can hardly tell that it's carbon fiber. I want a bold setup. thats why I started replacing everything else with silver finish guages.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:27 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (WashingtonRacer)

:cool: but im sticking with white face autometers. :cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 05:31 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

or maybe this one... ooooh aaaaaaaah :D

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 3:31 AM 12/17/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 08:35 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job Phoenix!! :yesnod: In my center console, only the gas gauge works and the previous owner has clusterfricked a tach, oil and water guages on the steering column, bleve it or not. Looks real tacky, imo. It looks like that Nordskog setup is the way to go. Direct replacement and you don't hafta cobble sumpn up for the turn sinals and hi beam. I priced 5 2-1/16" and 2 5" Autometers and came up ~$400 and this doesn't include shipping or ancillary items.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:38 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (Brettmc)

I did like the nordskog (formerly intellitronix) gauges, and even though they would be cheaper overall to do (and a lot easier to install), I am going to go with analog this time.

I'm trying to get information from a couple of the above companies with regard to pricing. Some of the web sites don't have pricing and the retailers listed don't have web sites. I'll post more information when I get it.
:)
Old 12-17-2002, 10:29 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

There's also the official Bowtie gauges:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...tart&catid=947
Old 12-17-2002, 11:25 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! Those Nordskog look very cool, just sent them an e:mail, may have just found an item to put on my christmas list. :cool: :cool:

VERY, VERY GOOD POST!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (74-Roadster)

does anyone make carbon fiber faced gauges ?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:40 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (Metal_Wulf)

does anyone make carbon fiber faced gauges ?
autometer does.

I am looking at putting a trans temp, oil temp, and 02 gage in place of my ash tray on my center console. Hope I can make it look nice.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:59 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (Metal_Wulf)

I really like the non-linear scale of the VDO elect temp gauges:

Also, they sell the senders seperate from the gauges, so you could easily buy one temp gauge, then buy a oil temp and H2O temp sending unit and put in a switch for which gets displayed on the gauge.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:05 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Can someone supply me with the correct sizes to replace all the gauges in my 76 including the speedo and tach? If anyone has already done this, pictures would be helpful.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:18 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (dukvet76)

speedo and tach: 5"
gauge cluster: 2 1/16"
Old 12-30-2002, 10:25 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (70 LS1)

I've done a lot of pricing out of the different gauges above. Here is some more information:

The Stewart Warner gauges have a very cool lighting system which involves a luminescent ring (blue-white) the only problem is that they don't have one series that has both the Tach and Speedo in 5". They have either one available in different series, but not matching. The company themselves are looking into why they don't. I'll get back on this one when I hear from them.

The Classic gauges, specifically Boyd Coddington Classic Silver (the gray with red circle) as well as all of their other gauges come in both 5" as well as the 2 1/16". They will sell the entire set with senders for around $450 depending on whether you get a mechanical speedo, electric oil pressure etc...

I am likely going to go with those since the cost is about the same as the Autometer and they are different. They have a couple series of gauges that are black or white similar to the autometer and if you need the senders, it works out to be about the same cost.

:):)

Hope this helps someone :D

[Modified by phoenix, 10:27 PM 12/30/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!!

Old 12-30-2002, 10:44 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! ('79ProwlerOrange)

i like those cobalt blue ones they would match my car :yesnod:
Old 12-30-2002, 10:49 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!! (patsnitrovette)

Pat, I like them too.

Unfortunately, the reply that I got from Autometer is that they are over a year away from making a speedometer in the cobalt series, let alone a 5" in-dash tach or speedo. They also don't have the usual gauges in 2 1/16" only things like fuel pressure, boost, vacuum etc... :( Too bad, they would look great in yours. The Dakota Digital would look good too. :);)
Old 12-31-2002, 01:19 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

I love those autometer cobalt and sport-comps! The digitals are not my cup of tea, sorry!

Quick Reply: Un-official aftermarket C3 in-dash gauge replacement thread!!!!