C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 07:04 PM
BILLMANL-82
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which mufflers?

Hi guys,
I am in the middle of my winter project. It started out as a project to take care of an oil leak. I now have completely rebuilt the engine , tranny front suspension and many other while 'im here type of things. Well anyway I want to replace my stock mufflers (only) with some type of performance muffler. I feel the need for more noise... Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

:chevy
Old 12-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: which mufflers? (BILLMANL-82)

Most people, including me prefer Flowmaster mufflers, great mufflers for a good price ($73 each). I'd have them send you a catalog. I'd recommend the delta-flow 40 series mufflers. I can get the part number for the one that fits the '63-'82 corvette if you want, as I have their catalog at home. There is also the Borla's ($100 each) and the Dynomax super turbos ($32 each), which I ran for a while on mine with the stock exhaust, and they sounded pretty good, but I'm not really sure of how high quality they were because they were only on for 3 months until I got true dual exhaust with Flowmaster's. If want a good performance increase though, I would recommend going to true dual exhaust at some point. Good luck with whatever you choose :cheers:

P.S.-- the prices were quoted from Jeg's
Old 12-16-2002, 07:49 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: which mufflers? (Ryan77)

The Ultraflows have a very high cfm and the Magnaflows on MotorHead's beauty sound great and perform well also.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: which mufflers? (gdh)

The Ultraflows have a very high cfm and the Magnaflows on MotorHead's beauty sound great and perform well also.
:iagree: Don't get me wrong- Flowmasters are very nice muffs but they can be prone to a bit more resonance than some others. I haven't heard a set of Ultraflo's that didn't sound great & was very impressed w/ the sound of the one set of Magnaflows that I heard.

Bottom line is, just like music, exhaust sound is very subjective. If you can hold off on your purchase til you've had a chance to hear the various muffs out there your choice might be obvious to you. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:41 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer these:

They're just plain awesome in my opinion. No idea if they're street legal...the exhaust shop that put them on didn't think they were...but they're cool dudes like that that don't care. 'Cause they know if anyone (trouble wise) asks, well, I just did it myself...but if people ask to know where to get their stuff done right, I recommend these dudes.

Paint them with POR-15 or some other high-temp stuff before installing. They don't come painted as in the picture. $40 each.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

I just ordered a pair of the Ultraflow welded mufflers. $61 ea. at Jegs. I think the stainless version was about $100 ea. No idea what it's going to sound like, but you can't beat the CFM (1000 vs Flowmaster @ 350 or so). I've had the Flowmaster 40 and I thought they sounded great. Current mufflers are just some local made single chamber race units that are louder than the FM 40's. Decided on the Ultraflows since I'm installing headers and a hi-flow cat (Car Sound), so my existing mufflers may be a bit too loud (is there such a thing?). I'm going to be dissapointed if the Ultraflows are too quiet!! :smash:
Old 12-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Anyone have part numbers on the various mufflers listed? I too need stock replacement mufflers for my '72.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To which mufflers?

Quick Reply: which mufflers?