C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 350 rebuild, update

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:57 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1969 350 rebuild, update

Several weeks ago, I posted a message stating that I was planning to replace my current, non-original, 350 with a correct date 350 - 300 hp block (my 69 was originally a 350 - 350). Several members commented and suggested that I get the engine and describe it. I picked up the engine and a carb today, and here is what I found.

Intake manifold # 3927184 (correct for my car as originally built)

Cylinder head (left) 3927186 (correct) didn't check right side

Block 3970010 (correct for my car)

Build Code I229 = Sept 22, 1969 (my car was built Oct 69) My resource says that blocks may have been built a month or so in advance of the body.

block came with a Holley carb - unusable

bought a Rochester Q-jet 7029207 (attached tag stated it came out of a 69 350 - 350) Needs complete rebuild. correct for my car.

I dropped the engine/carb off at machine shop for evaluation. Magnaflux, etc will be done to determine if healthy. Should know by next week. Got a 90-day guarantee from the junk yard just in case.

Upon closer inspection, I found the ignition shield mounting brackets are still in place (good because my current car does not have them) and a pair of stainless steel trim pieces that run along each side of the block below the heads. I assume these were used to protect the spark plug wires as they swung under the exhaust manifold.

Total paid was $700. The guys in the machine shop seemed to think I got a good deal. We'll find out soon enough.

I do plan to use my correct aluminum finned valve covers (being reskinned next month) and the machine shop suggested that I use my current pulleys, water pump and oil pan.

We chatted a bit about how to bring this 350 - 300 block up to 350 - 350 configuration. According to my 69 book, all of the major componants described above were used on the original 350-350.

Now I need help from the experts on this forum.

The shop feels that the best they can do would be 330 hp, considering compression issues, pump gas, etc.

What would you experts do with this block to make it purr???

( I took lots of before pictures so I will have something to compare to later).

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: 1969 350 rebuild, update (Burgandy 69)

The block has nothing to do with it. Have them do all the machine work to the block. Do you want a little more power but want it to look stock? That is what it sounds like. Put in a more modern cam with a little hotter grind. Have the heads pocket ported or just cleaned up. If you are using iron heads which it sounds like you are going to run about 9.5 to 1 and you should be OK. This should get you up to about 350 to 360 HP.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: 1969 350 rebuild, update (Gordonm)

I agree with Gordonm that a block has nothing to do with horsepower unless you are going to get radical with it. I have a 2 bolt main engine going in after the first of the year that should put out 420HP. I see no reason at all with making this engine into a 350-350 version unless you are not planning on putting in the components to do it. The heads show to be 2.02/1.60, so that's not a problem. The only other components that I can think of that can hinder you are the pistons and cam. If the block is running 300HP pistons and you are not planning on updating the compression then no... you will not find 350HP. I would assume you are planning on changing the cam as that is a no-brainer for any engine with any miles on it, so you can easily update to the specs.

Did I miss something in your information?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 1969 350 rebuild, update (bgrice)

Maybe I should not have said "block" there. Basically, I want to rebuild to as close to original configuration (350-350) as possible. I guess what I am looking for is advice about contemporary replacement crank, cam, pistons, etc to aproximate the original build. Externally, I want a "stock" appearance.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 350 rebuild, update

Quick Reply: 1969 350 rebuild, update