C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance!

Old 12-16-2002, 04:00 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance!

Any Advice.
I purchased car insurance a year ago for a six month term. I had no claims or violations. When the policy came due they raised my policy by $50 and stated they were not taking installments anymore. They offered me an installment plan but it would almost cost double. So I forked it out to get covered for 6 months. Now my term is due again. This time they raised my policy rate by $100 and still do not take installments. Again I had no claims or violations, what gives!?!? My rate should be going down...any ideas. I feel like I am getting bent over every six months!-TK
Old 12-16-2002, 04:13 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (TJKirby82CE)

TJ, I see your are in Kalifornia, and I know nothing first hand of Kalifornia car insurance problems.....but in general the first thing is NEVER do business with GEICO, they are FAMOUS for just such stunts....in spite of most car's declining value....
second off, try like hell to stay away from Allstate, and State Farm....
they are allmost as bad.....
there are certainly a few more bad guys out there, but these three are the WORST in the nation...
NOW for anyone who claims otherwise....I suggest they do some hard comparison shopping and look closely as to what they are buying....

IF YOU CAN...find a decent regional carrier.....LIke Erie INs Co. out of the NOrth East.....thing is they are regional...don't write in Florida....I lost them when moving down to this abdomial state with reguards to insurance....
UP NORT HEAST...insurance is treated as a profession....
down here i'ts every hooker on the street writing policies out of commercial store fronts, and charging outlandish rates.....and blaming Florida no fault for the problems....which is a Bull Sh it LIE.....thing is, I can prove it....

my dad was in the insurance business some 35 years ago...one of my first jobs....I know the insides and out of that scam......

GENE
Old 12-16-2002, 04:54 PM
VBP
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (mrvette)

"My views on this subject might not be the same views as the company I work for!"

Insurance is the biggest scam in Florida since the roaring 20's gambling houses. I've never seen such an outrage before as the Florida Insurance laws. My driver's liscense keeps getting suspended by these insurance companies that screw up the paperwork. I have to keep providing them proof of insurance and keep (paying for) getting copies of my driver's liscense because the officer will take it from you. I think it's just another way to get your money and generate revenue for the big-wigs sitting behind the desk. /"I think there should be an insurance account (that accumulates interest like a savings account) for each driver provided by the government. The total should have a max-out balance providing proof of each individual's vehicles worth and the max amount the medical bills could ever possibly be"\. As much as I have payed over the years to Progressive and other companies and being on time with my payments and they still treat you like a criminal when you have a paperwork mix-up. I could've bought a mansion and have my own property and ten nice cars in the driveway. It's the most frustrating payment I have to make every month! :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :sad: :sad: :cuss :cuss :cuss
Old 12-16-2002, 05:30 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

You HAVE TO shop car insurance every year. You feel like your getting bent over because you are.

Larry
Old 12-16-2002, 06:02 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (lbell101)

THIS ONCE EVERY six months is absurd! If I could by a 3 year policy I would!!!! My rates always dropped when I was with State farm, before the corvette. Now with the vette regardless of my perfect driving record the damn rate goes up every six months!
Old 12-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Yeah, they doubled my rates after it finally went through their heads that I am 18 and own a Corvette. I've never had a ticket or been in an accident and never speed (sans the few top speed runs, but I did a cop check first) but no, I couldn't get full coverage for $150 for 6 months like they had QUOTED me for, now I'm paying $150 for 6 months for just liability, no comprehensive or collision. I hate insurance company, all they like to do is screw you.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:17 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

yeah, things are changing in the california insurance industry. My rates have gone up $400 a year in the past year. $200 every six months, with only a seatbelt ticket in the past year! I have decided to pay every 6 months so they cant raise it every month! I talked to a couple of agents and companies and the brokers all say the same thing. All insurance companies are raising rates across the board in california regardless of your record. At this point, I am lucky to have insurance and when I shopped around every agent said "stay with what you have!". It almost makes me look forward to turning 40 so I can get the old man discount!
Old 12-16-2002, 06:24 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (71roadster)

Your complaining about california you need to live in jersey,insurance is out of control,im at 2600 now just raised it again,and thats 2 cars full coverage on one and liability on the other.And i havent even added the vette yet. :rolleyes:
Old 12-16-2002, 08:22 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (71roadster)

yeah, things are changing in the california insurance industry. My rates have gone up $400 a year in the past year.
Shoot - mine went down...ok a whopping $5 but it still went down :lol:
Old 12-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (fauxrs)

you guys are getting bent over. I shop my insurance EVERY year, and I can never do better than American Family. Even though I get an 18% discount with metlife through work, I still can't beat AmFam. I've had them for 14 years now. I called last week to put insurance on my new vette ('72, picked up last Monday). She called me back a couple hours later and it is $137 for a full year, no driving limitations (mileage, storage, etc.) and that's full coverage with a $0 deductible. They photocopied my Old Cars Price Guide, took 5 pictures of the car, and placed an agreed value on the car. Now, I need to notify them when it goes up in value, but that's not difficult. The coverage on my Grand Cherokee (my daily driver) is $130 a year, but that's not for full coverage.

Brian
Old 12-17-2002, 01:14 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (Bacchus)

They just did a little raise in Arizona this year .

When I questioned them about it, the response was it is a nation wide increase....
What a bunch of :bs

Now I hear the State Farm is dumping there home owners policys...Thank God I;m not with them...
Old 12-17-2002, 01:39 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance!

GEICO was the only on who would give me full coverage everyone turned me down and as of right nwo im paying 214 a month as a 18year old corvette driver in california
Old 12-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (HcDave1)

I personally think that insurance companies are looking at the picture as a whole, not just as auto insurance, homeowners, health, etc. I think that the trade center deal was hard on insurance companies, but not near as hard as the miserable failure of our medical system, which is in part a result of insurance companies. I think that they are raising auto insurance rates to make up for losses in other areas because it's an easy thing to do. It's the law that we must carry at least liability, agents won't quote you a price unless you tell them who your current carrier is, (allowing them to keep their prices all in line with one another) so they can pretty much charge whatever they want for auto insurance. I am happy with the insurance on the vette through Hagerty, but haven't had to use it so I have no knowledge of the service. My liability on my daily drivers is another story. I pay 600 bucks a year for liability on 3 vehicles, which is too much IMO. Don't get me on the health insurance topic or I could explode in a fit of rage. The medical industry in this country is corrupted to the point that I can't even think of a solution to the problem. :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :boxing :bs :bs :bs :bs
Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (Dalannex)

Dalannex....don't get ME started on the health ins industry.....

hospitals have to bill the freebees to someone, and it's the insurance industry....or the government....1/2 the patients in a hospital have no insurance coverage of any kind....

I think they need quit treating dope addiction problems or anything associated with it....like gun shot wounds....

GENE
Old 12-17-2002, 09:36 AM
a454corvette
Racer

Funny how everybody squeals about insurance costs rising, but as soon as your car is damaged, you want a paint complete rather than what you're owed.

Had a kid in here yesterday with a daewoo, a DAEWOO for pete's sake, that needed a fender. Insisted I write to paint the whole car. No ins company is going to do it, but it's what people have come to demand.

$600 a year on 3 cars is pretty good, compared to having to pay the repair bill AND the scammer's "medical" and "pain and suffering" and "lost wages" if something happens by accident.

It's always a gamble, and everybody has the option of being self-insured if you care to post a large enough bond. ALL insurance companies have announced an across the board rate increase, at least here in Okla. Presumably due to much higher than expected costs, especially on homes and medical. My group health insurer has announced that they will no longer write coverage in this state. Be glad insurance is available, the trend is less and less companies writing coverage.

A word about GEICO...if you have your regular car covered for comp/collision with them, I would look elsewhere. They WILL NOT write parts other than aftermarket unless there is no aftermarket listed. Doesn't even have to be available, just listed. Sheetmetal, lamps, bumpers, anything they can find. No wonder they can brag about saving customers 15% or more, they're actually saving closer to 60% on parts they write. And no, you can't make them put OE on the car, because you have a contract with them as an insured.

I would advise everybody to READ your policy before you need it. That's where the so-called "great rates" are saving money. Sometimes the big players are worth the extra $$$. Prudential for example, while being possibly the highest premium, also will tell the shop that if the customer says no aftermarket, they do not have to even try them. The first choice is LKQ (like kind and quality) (used, or salvage to you and me), and if none is available, OE parts.

Do your homework, people.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:17 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (a454corvette)

The last company, Allstate wanted $410 a month for 6-months. :U
I don't have any DUI's or a very bad record. And it was for an old 68' Ford F-100. The truck isn't even worth that much!
:( :cry :cuss :eek: :rolleyes: :mad
Old 12-17-2002, 05:33 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (VBP)

Well, over here they're screwing us too, just got my renewal bill and they've increased the amount by a whopping 160%, that's with a 4000 mile maximum a year too :(

Get notified of new replies

To They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance!

Old 12-18-2002, 01:29 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (a454corvette)

Funny how everybody squeals about insurance costs rising, but as soon as your car is damaged, you want a paint complete rather than what you're owed.
I asked one time to have my CE painted completely, then I told the repair shop that I would cover the rest of the paint since the insurance wouldn't...

And with Farmers, I am getting all the OEM stuff that they could find.

Sometimes its worth paying a little more.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:16 AM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance! (Desertdawg)

Yes, I agree it is better to pay a little more sometimes...I am fine paying for good coverage, however them raising my rate every six months when my driving record is still perfect(no accidents ever, no tickets) is BULL S$IT.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:43 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

OK, I am keeping this strictly to the CAR insurance issue....

So you want a new car...lets asy like typical driver who does between 10-20k miles/year you get a ticket every 2 years.....probably some bull sh it thing like minor speed....or whatever the cop hangs you with....well they use that thing to hang you with unsafe driver rates.....the average joe will hardly ever get over that hump....you gotta drive not at all or be lucky otherwise......

OK that new car is worth let's say 20 grand....and soon as you drive it off the lot it's worth about 15 grand...IF you are lucky enough to be able to sell it...
so they insure it for the 20 grand and charge you XXX$ for a year...how you finance it is another story, but unless through an interest bearing note...it's usually pretty reasonable...BUT....
they charge you for a car bought at 20 grand, but knowing full well the parts will cost them next to nothing, plus cheapest labor they can find....
and they will NOT guarantee paint match under any circumstances....
so you pay insurance for a total loss which is about 1% of all accidents...the likely hood of them paying more than 4 grand to fix your car is nil.....

so you pay 800 bux/year on that 20 grand purchase for collision/comp coverage.....so that makes one out of 5 cars will cost 4 grand that YEAR to fix???? don't bet on totally not possigble....it's all commisssions and advertizing overhead...and call centers..and claim adjusters...and payoffs and so on....

So what's my point you say?? number ONE...pay cash for a depreciating asset...never finance it...they payments are allways more than you can reasonable afford....especially considering the cost of repairs done yourself...not necessarily accident, but mechanical....

over the 40 driving years I have under my belt....I"d hate to think of the total cost of having my cars new every say 3 years and the insurance rates....much less the maintanance costs....

More than just Fuel economy and emissions and such...the reason car makers are going to such overloaded electronics is to severely limit the lifespan of each car.....increasing the consumer costs....as well as the razzle dazzle of sales....

I remember my dad in the insurance business, writing all sorts of insurance...
for a variety of carriers,....and he allways considered the auto wing of the trade to be crooked as hell, and had to be hit over the head to write auto insurance for a client....as in pull all the rest of the lines....life, health, homeowners....etc....

GENE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: They Keep raising my DAM$ Insurance!