C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 03:22 PM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing?

Can some of you please give me some reasons for NOT running plug wires over the valve covers. Obviously, the stock routing is "stock or OEM" but it is also a PITA. With the wire looms available it seems pretty clear to me that it would be much easier to go over the valve covers but maybe I'm missing something. For those of you who have done this or haven't done this, please let me know why. Thanks! :crazy:
Old 12-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing? (LABulldog)

I changed my wires using the stock routing only once. Vowed never again.

Now, my Magnecor's run over the top. Yes, with wire looms, you can have a nice looking underhood AND keep the wires and boots away from the exhaust.

Personally, there is something I like about seeing a nicely laid out set of over-the-tops.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing? (Larry82)

I didn`t route mine over the valve covers just because I like the cleaner look with the wires out of the way. I came down behind the valve covers and then straight to the front.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing? (Eddie 96)

Most of the wire looms out there allow great routing with headers. With the stock manifolds n place, the wires tend to get burnt.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing? (Robert N)

Most of the wire looms out there allow great routing with headers. With the stock manifolds n place, the wires tend to get burnt.
When I had the stock manifolds on I ran 180 boots and looped the wires out from my looms with no problems. I did have to cut about a half inch off the #3 boot to clear the steering box but it was no biggie. I had Summit brand name wires (they are probably Taylor 8mm wires with the Summit name on them) that where blue and they looked nice against my med blue metallic paint. :yesnod:
Old 12-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve cov

I thought that the ignition wires were run underneath so that they could be covered with the metal shielding. I thought the shielding was to prevent radio interference. Don't you guys have problems with radio reception?
Old 12-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve cov (Jim Shea)

How's this?

Old 12-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve cov (Jim Shea)

Jim

Supposedly todays wires are designed with sheilding to prevent radio interference so you don't need the old sheilding. That being said, I do have radio interference but I think it is from my MSD box and probably some bubba wire by the prvious owner.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing?

If you are running headers then you can do a great job with the wire looms and running them over the valve covers. But it you have the stock ramhorn exhaust manifolds you will end up with burnt wires. I keep mine on the underside as I am still running the stock manifolds.

tom...
Old 12-16-2002, 04:30 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve cov (Cali,77,L-82)

David, Your wires look great! How DID it effect your radio??? :thumbs: :confused:
Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I thought that the ignition wires were run underneath so that they could be covered with the metal shielding. I thought the shielding was to prevent radio interference. Don't you guys have problems with radio reception?
I think that sort of interference would mostly be limited to AM if I'm remembering correctly.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Jim, of course you are correct, in any older/simpler/cheaper AM radio this is a hell of a problem it's called RFI....Radio Frequency Interferance...sorta like the olden tymey Spark Gap Transmitters that the Titanic was so famous for using....hense the radio traffic/alarms not getting through....

now in any decent design usually related to PRICE today...that RFI is NOT a problem for the gear...IN FM and CD/TAPE mode only.....

but AM radio....well who in hell listen to THAT anymore anyway????

GENE
Old 12-16-2002, 04:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Jim, of course you are correct, in any older/simpler/cheaper AM radio this is a hell of a problem it's called RFI....Radio Frequency Interferance...sorta like the olden tymey Spark Gap Transmitters that the Titanic was so famous for using....hense the radio traffic/alarms not getting through....

now in any decent design usually related to PRICE today...that RFI is NOT a problem for the gear...IN FM and CD/TAPE mode only.....

but AM radio....well who in hell listen to THAT anymore anyway????

which brings up that old idea of AM STEREO these days.....you know...
lo frequency buzz in one channel, he freq in the other....;-)))

GENE
Old 12-16-2002, 05:04 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires

Drawbacks...sure I can do that.

1>Easier to change
2>Easier to route
3>slightly increased chance of burnt wire
4>looks better
5>Non stock routing will cause 'originality wienies' to cast you straight to hell

:jester :jester :jester :lol: :lol: :jester :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 08:16 PM
tippi58
Racer

I went over the valve covers and used spacers mounting off valve covers to keep clear of the covers and the exhausts. :smash:

Looks tidy enuff and stops the wires getting too hot or burnt.:mad:

The heat is what they dont like. :cheers:

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 12-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (tippi58)

David, Your wires look great! How DID it effect your radio???
Not at all. I guess new wires do not cause radio interference what so ever.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires (fauxrs)

Drawbacks...sure I can do that.

1>Easier to change
2>Easier to route
3>slightly increased chance of burnt wire
4>looks better
5>Non stock routing will cause 'originality wienies' to cast you straight to hell

:jester :jester :jester :lol: :lol: :jester :cheers:
You crazy fauxr!
Old 12-20-2002, 03:28 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires (Fevre)

I still have the stock covers oa and I still have radio interf. so what could it hurt. FM is fine, tape has alt. whine, and AM sucks. The only time I listen to AM is for football, baseball, and hockey games so I have to stop and go to the bar to watch the game. Not a bad excuse.

Get notified of new replies

To Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing?

Quick Reply: Okay, What is the downside to running new plug wires over valve covers instead of stock routing?