C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rocker alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 02:57 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Roller rocker alignment?

Heads are on, liftersin, push rods, and roller rockers are on. Not all of the rockers are centered over the valve. Intake and exhuast valve for the same alignment plate are close but not perfect. Is this normal? Do I not worry about it as long as I split the difference.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:22 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Roller rocker alignment? (redwingvette)

If your talking about front of the motor to rear of the motor off center.

Your need to loosen the screw in studs and then you have a certian amount of pushrod guide movement. You have to get the rockers to center the best without rubbing into the pushrods. On some motors I had to grind out the guide plates for pushrod clearance.

If your talking about not being centered. Intake to exhaust. That's corrected by pushrod length changes.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:35 PM
VBP
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default Re: Roller rocker alignment? (gkull)

I had Comp Cams guide plates and Erson Roller rockers and the rollers wouldn't line up to my specs. I bought the Erson guide-plates and it fixed the misalignmment problem. Use the same guide-plate manufacturer as the roller rockers. :yesnod:
Old 12-16-2002, 10:01 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Roller rocker alignment? (VBP)

Roller rockers are Crane Blazers and the guides came with the Performer heads. The mismatch is between the intake and exhaust for 2 or 3 of the cylinders. I loosened up the plates and split the difference between them. The push rod gets close to the clearance in the head but doesn’t touch anywhere so I think it is as good as there going to get without altering the guide plates. Is this acceptable All of the valve stems are lined up with the roller; just not directly on center.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:06 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it if the stem is on the roller :cheers:
Old 12-18-2002, 12:11 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Hello redwing,
Roller tip alignment was a big headache for me. When changing heads and/or gaskets the pushrod length needs to be corrected such that the roller tip strokes from the top 1/3 of valve stem to bottom 1/3 of valve stem and back again to prevent side loading of valve guide - especialy on a street motor. The hardest and most accurate method is using an adjustable push rod. I tried many times and gave up. Finally bought a Moroso plastic checker for $20 and measured my stock pushrods where 50 thou. too long. Tool is very easy to use . Also tried the same tool made by ProForm and measured 60 thou. long pushrods. Bought some 50 thou. shorter trickflow pushrods ($90 @ Summit) but they only measured 33 thou. short. Hopefully the coating (black stuff) on pushrod will wear off and the rods will be correct length in use so there can be a happy ending to this story. The vavles are now adjusted and rocker tips look just fine now using my calibrated eyesight.
Good luck,
cardo0 :p:

[Modified by cardo0, 5:13 AM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 01:11 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Roller rocker alignment? (cardo0)

:lurk: -- as I may have to do this soon....
Old 12-18-2002, 05:33 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Roller rocker alignment? (BSeery)

Good info as usual for this site. I hadn't checked the alignment from front to back yet. I was just lookig at it from side to side.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Roller rocker alignment?

Quick Reply: Roller rocker alignment?