C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carb thoughts...

Rejetted the Holley 650 Dp primaries last weekend from 67 to 71. Took her for a quick spin and all seemed OK.

Drove her this morning. Was about 46 degrees. She was a little sluggish off the line. At 2500 RPM she bucks (fine at 2000). After running a few minutes at a given RPM range I stepped on her. There was a nothing, then launched.

Going to recheck the float as it seems like fuel shortage.

Any other thoughts?
Old 12-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Carb thoughts... (Robert N)

Floats OK. Next?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:27 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After running a few minutes at a given RPM range I stepped on her. There was a nothing, then launched. Any other thoughts?
"Bucking" at 2,500 RPM coupled with the above quote sounds like you're lean at cruise and the lean-out gets worse for a moment when you jump on it. This points me toward a couple of things.

First, the stumbling at cruise makes me think jets, but you went up 4 numbers on the primaries. Now I'm thinking vacuum leak--extra air getting into the carb at cruise somehow. Perhaps the wrong gasket on the metering block? Maybe a warped metering block? Maybe the bowl/metering block isn't torqued down correctly?

The bog when you jump on it also tells me your're lean, and getting leaner momentarily when you hit the throttle. A lot of times a bog off the line or when you goose it will happen if the shooter diameter is too small and the carb's on a single-plane intake, for example. But all you did was jet up 4 numbers so the shooters probably aren't the problem.

Look for correct re-assembly and then go back through it and check your pump linkages and levers. Maybe when you had the carb apart to re-jet it you bolluxed up the pump linkage or lever a little and it's not giving you enough shot when you goose it. Maybe one or both of your pump diaphragms are due for replacement. That's a few things to think about, anyhow. Other folks will chime in, I'm sure.

Just riffing. Good luck.

[Modified by The Dude, 11:32 AM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by The Dude, 11:40 AM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 03:03 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Robert

This might help, it did for me:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=108&TopicID=3

Make sure you follow it step by step and don't skip any. :yesnod:
Old 12-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Carb thoughts... (Fevre)

Gonna start by removing and reinstalling the bowl. Might just be something really dumb.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:54 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Yeah. Check for clogged fuel lines, clogged filter or clogs inside the metering block, too. A lean condition doesn't have to be too much extra air--it could be a fuel shortage, too. Probably something real minor. Otherwise it would have to be something that happened as a coincidence unrelated to your jet change.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb thoughts...

Quick Reply: Carb thoughts...