C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After driving a car this weekend with no Power options.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default After driving a car this weekend with no Power options.......

I forget Exactly how scary they are to drive Especailly braking. I was really taking for granted how easy my 74 is to drive with all the power options It sure is nice
Old 12-16-2002, 09:35 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (Alwyn678)

Agreed. I drove a couple before buying the one I have. Another thing I love is the tilt wheel. I never use the telescope part, but the ones I drove that had the standard column were too hard to get my Budweiser Baby in and out of :smash:
Old 12-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (SanDiegoPaul)

Been there, done that - THIS MORNING. Stopping can be a little hairy.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (Alwyn678)

My daily driver is an 83 chevy 4x4 with brakes made to stop the truck and whatever it's hauling. When I drive my non-power brakes (it does have PS) big-block 74, it's kinda shocking-scary-panicky (WHOOOOOA down baby!!!!!) how much force it takes to slow down/stop. I get used to it tho and it's not really bad, you just hafta apply a little more leg.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:45 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (Brettmc)

:iagree:
Old 12-16-2002, 01:57 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I forget Exactly how scary they are to drive Especailly braking. I was really taking for granted how easy my 74 is to drive with all the power options It sure is nice
I have no power options on my 68' and braking is not a problem.. I can lock up the brakes any time... Well - my whole brake system is new...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 12-16-2002, 02:11 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (GrandSportC3)

I have no power options on my 68' and braking is not a problem.. I can lock up the brakes any time... Well - my whole brake system is new...
:iagree: Your spoiled, if you never had power accessories you'd never know the difference, in other words - it wouldn't scare ya to drive something without power assist.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:15 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (70PurpleLS7)

:iagree: Your spoiled, if you never had power accessories you'd never know the difference, in other words - it wouldn't scare ya to drive something without power assist.
My 80' has power everything and the only thing that makes a big difference is the power steering... Those 255's without power steering makes it some work to turn at slow speeds... Other then that - I don't miss any of the power accessoried.. I prefer the weight saving....

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 12-16-2002, 02:16 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options....... (70PurpleLS7)

:iagree: Your spoiled, if you never had power accessories you'd never know the difference, in other words - it wouldn't scare ya to drive something without power assist.[/QUOTE]

Nope you are wrong there for sure.......I had a 67 Firebird Vert before the car I had now and It had 0 power options and It had Drum brakes(400 with rockcrusher 4 speed...So I think I do know the difference.It also had Armstrong steering that weighed a ton :yesnod: ..I was merely saying that sometimes options like PS and PB are nice to have on an old Hotrod......But Drum Brakes I can Definently live without

[Modified by Alwyn678, 2:16 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 02:17 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

:iagree:

Yep, do you know how many times I'll say:
My dern power steering is out or leaking?? NEVER
My dern power booster is out?? NEVER
Not too mention power windows or locks, not in this car. :)
Old 12-16-2002, 02:28 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options.......

I'd venture to say that the brakes were not in good shape if it was scary during braking. My '69 is my daily driver w/o PS and PB. Even switching between my late model Yukon and Firebird doesn't have much if any advangage in stopping power. The effort is a bit more, but that is what we have muscles for.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:34 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options.......

My current '69 big block has power steering, but no power brakes. The '73 454 I had was a power brake, but no power steering car. I wouldn't mind not having power brakes if the '69 weren't automatic...too hard to keep the car stopped at a stoplight!

I drove the '73 around for an afternoon and I got blisters from turning the thing in the parking lot! Great for racing, bad for around town and parking!

Sam
Old 12-16-2002, 06:57 PM
stingray_76
Racer

i am too young to have experienced driving a vehicle with the "armstrong" steering system so i cannot comment on this topic, but i would like to take this opportunity to say this:
The Bucs are going down!!!!!!! :yesnod:
Fear the wrath of the only team that matters,
THE GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!! :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 07:53 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

The 72 has no pb or ps. The 74 has ps on pb. I never felt uncomfortable with the non power brakes, as they stop the car with not that much extra effort. The ps is missed for a few minutes, but you get use to the feel real quick.
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To After driving a car this weekend with no Power options.......

Quick Reply: After driving a car this weekend with no Power options.......