C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injection guys check this out

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 06:56 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look)

This is one of our members with a 73 vette with fuel injection,you guys wondered if this setup fits a under a stock hood.I didnt get his forum name,and hell chime in on what he has in it and how she runs later,but he asked to post his pictures so here you go.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 6:57 AM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (patsnitrovette)

Looking good Pat, too bad it is winter. :cry

On the bright side, you have almost everything done so you'll be :Driving: (driving smiley face not working:confused: ) in early spring. :cheers:

You tricked me Pat! I thought that was yours but that is a diff tpi system, what tpi do you have and what is the one pictured in this thread?

[Modified by Fevre, 7:18 AM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by Fevre, 7:59 AM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 08:43 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (patsnitrovette)

Run?? like a felon!!!, fits like a glove, well not OJ's....but MOST people...

GENE
Old 12-16-2002, 10:04 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (mrvette)

Very nice.

Glad to finally see a photo of it. :D:D
Old 12-16-2002, 11:20 AM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting those Pat. That's a Street & Performance "tunnel ram", stock GM throttle body with Monty's old Accel 6.0 ECM (see the sig). The underhood appearance is still in need of some TLC but this car is a daily driver so It doesn't get much extended garage time. I have been tuning on it as I have time. I want to get Jet Hot coated Hooker Super Comps on it next summer and then have it dyno tuned at a local Accel install shop.

It barely fits under the hood. My main prob at the moment is that I have little room to fit an air filter. I need to come up with a different way to filter and duct air into the TB. There's only about 1/4 inch of clearance between the back corner of the fan blades and the bottom corner of the K&N air filter, that filter clogs up fast and requires frequent cleaning. I believe it is a significant restriction.

later
dr
Old 12-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (DavidR)

You might think of getting rid of the stock fan and shroud, will free up a lot of space and some hp. :yesnod:
Old 12-16-2002, 11:32 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (Fevre)

:cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 11:55 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (QuickVet)

no problem dave,glad to help.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:20 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Very interesting setup David. How do you like it? Have you thought of trying to vent it out to the side, maybe through the inner fendor for cooler air intake? Looks very :cool:
Old 12-16-2002, 12:23 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I'm amazed that it fits. That is a tall intake. Do you like the way it runs? Any mileage improvement?
Old 12-16-2002, 12:57 PM
thisnameisshort
Heel & Toe

[img]c:\vette[/img]

I recently finished converting My 69 vette to a MAP tuned port ,
I have the Hood scoop from the L-88 and It gives me plenty of space and looks pretty mean. I feel The best way to go is using the MAP sensor late style TPI from the '90-92 systems. It's very simple compared to the early style and works the same.
The main thing is you don't have to use the MAF sensor and the cold start (9th) injector. For moderate 350's thats the way to go. But if modified your V-8 (changing the cam, heads, etc.) for racing, a MAF system And the early style system will work with your engine better. My system pretty much works fawlessly. I know I'm young but I've spent about 15 months working on turning my '69 to fuel injection, and I been through every problem installing it you can think of!

anyways if you have T & A: Time and Money (the car gets the other T & A)

:jester And if you don't including myself, it just takes longer. A lot longer-
-brandon

[Modified by thisnameisshort, 6:28 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 01:04 PM
thisnameisshort
Heel & Toe

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (thisnameisshort)

Hey how can I post pictures like everyone else? I have one of my '69 tuned port to show.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:36 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

It barely fits under the hood. My main prob at the moment is that I have little room to fit an air filter. I need to come up with a different way to filter and duct air into the TB. There's only about 1/4 inch of clearance between the back corner of the fan blades and the bottom corner of the K&N air filter, that filter clogs up fast and requires frequent cleaning. I believe it is a significant restriction.
Down the road when I make the swap to F.I. I'm planning on modifying the hood and using aftermarket ram air ductwork to go right over the top of the radiator and behind what used to be my license plate location. You may look into the option of going over the top of the radiator, may need to fabricate your own ductwork and modify the foam seal and possibly the hood.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:29 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Default Re: fuel injection guys check this out(smoked tires look) (SmokedTires)

Thanks for the comments folks, My car pales in comparison to most here from a curb appeal standpoint.

Smoked Tires,
Runs fine for now. It has some trouble at very low RPM under load but I can't tune it there very easily with the laptop computer. I had not thought of going out thru the fender vents for fresh air, I'll keep that option in mind. I was thinking more along the lines of what 74-Roadster has described- going over the top of the rad like a C4 maybe. I don't want to mod my hood to do it though. The runner length on the intake is probably about 6 inches, fairly short, so I also have on the menu a cam change (eventually) that would take advantage of that fact. The short runner intake and mid-range pull of my wife's LT4 vette is very intoxicating. I'd like to see that in my '73.

burners,
I said it was close, I forgot to mention above that I had to cut out part of the underhood insulation right above the filter to allow room for air movement into the upper areas of the air filter. Cutting it didn't bother me since the insulation had alraedy been damaged in that area by a previous thrown belt about 3 years ago. It broke under a high RPM run, wrapped itself up around the water pump, slashed a gouge in the upper hose and took out one other belt as well. I'm a real advocate of a serpentine system now. Just don't have the time or money for it yet. I haven't noticed much difference in the mileage from the old Rochester carb, I believe the 4spd and 3:55 rear is mostly to blame for that.

I am really hoping to get rid of the factory fan soon and opt for some electric fans. I haven't seen a shroud that appeals to me though, I may try to adapt something from a C4. I finally got my A/C working last summer (yes it is still a VIR system :) ) and it can't cool much at a traffic light with the factory fan.

later
dr
Old 12-17-2002, 11:23 AM
thisnameisshort
Heel & Toe

JEGS can set you up with an electric cooling fan with brackets (I made my own) for fairly cheap and a sensor that tells the fan when to turn on. You can run the power line to the alternator. You might want a higher amp alt. if you still have the one from the '70's (I think it was 65 amps). JEGS sells the single wire alternators that worked fine on my '69 (I bought the 110 amp alt. i'm always jump starting cars), as far as the fan shroud I made my own shroud, it's pretty much just for looks though, it's not needed for an aftermarket electric fan.-
-brandon
Old 12-17-2002, 08:26 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

ooooh that gives me hope. if that bigass intake can fit under a stock hood on a SB, that 496 should do with my L-88 hood...

great looking setup. now you'll have to make it as pretty as Pats! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To fuel injection guys check this out

Quick Reply: fuel injection guys check this out