C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need Restoration Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 06:54 AM
OddBall
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need Restoration Advice

I have just bought a '78 Silver Anniv. Edition.
The entire drive train is in great shape.
Suspention is alo in great shape.
Interior needs a lot of help and the paint is history.

The car has been modified quite a bit.
The 350 has been bored out to 400 and a set of stainless steel side pipes
have been added. And for some reason (God only Knows why) a trailor hitch was welded to the frame. (that of course, is no longer there)
My question is this. I have never really cared for the color scheme of the Siver Anniv. I like the silver but the grey I really don't care for. Since I have to have the car painted; How much will a different color scheme devalue the restored value of the car, or has been modified beyond the point of worring about it at all. Any advice will be appreciated. -Joe
Old 12-16-2002, 08:30 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I need Restoration Advice (McphailK)

One way to decide is to ask if the changes are reversible or not, or prevent the car in the future from being returned to original state. At least that's what I look for as one who prefers factory original when looking for a corvette. Also of importance is whether the block is still the original one with the numbers intact. That can make a difference. You're affecting the potential market size when it comes time to resell.

All that said however, it's your car so you should do what you want to it and what makes you comfortable with your decisions. :)
Old 12-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

The car has been modified quite a bit.
How much will a different color scheme devalue the restored value of the car, or has been modified beyond the point of worring about it at all. Any advice will be appreciated. -Joe
This question is quite subjective. Purists would want the original color, but they'd also want the original engine, carb, alt, etc... The paint is trashed
now so anything would be an improvement, and increase the value of the
car. However, a stock paintjob may attract a larger customer base. I don't
know what your plans are for the car either, show or go? If it were my car,
I'd go stock "looking" but not stock running since it sounds as though the
original motor is long gone. Either way, it's your car, do what you wish.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:21 AM
1979VetteMike
Advanced

Not to rain on your parade, but a 350 cannot be bored out to make a 400. If it is a 400 then it is not the original engine anyway and all other points will be null and void. You should check the numbers on the engine to see if it is truely the original. If it is, then about the biggest the engine can be is about 357 cubic inches-give or take an inch. I'd say make the car the way you want it and forget about it. The car will never be worth much more than it already is-unless it is ultra low mileage and everything is original. I almost went the original route with my '79 but when I ran the numbers, it only had a 305 in it. I went with a 350 crate motor and forgot making it match. Don't you get sick of going to car shows and seeing all of the "original" cars look the same? Do something different and have some personality. Just my 2 cents. Good luck... :conehead
Old 12-16-2002, 04:20 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

whatever you do, 'Keep In Mind' if you ever what to seel this Vette it IS a 78 Silver Anniv. edition. If you remove all marking or traits of it being a Silver Anniv. then it's no longer that much more of a collectable a corvette. Having said that it your car and you can do whatever makes to propeller spin! :crazy:
Old 12-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

"The car will never be worth much more than it already is-unless it is ultra low mileage and everything is original."

How untrue. As the early C4's are really dropping in price, it makes them more attractive to the bargain buyer, pushing the C3's up in price. The early C3's, especially the chrome bumper cars, are fast escalating in price. The '72 standard coupe, for example, has gone up about 50% in 2 years in the price guides. A combination of factors will cause the later C3's to rise in price in the coming years. In fact, they may be at the BOTTOM of the curve right now, getting ready to escalate.

Just my 2 cents. I'd keep it original if it is original now. I've never been a corvette guy, so I don't claim to be an expert. But I do buy/sell/collect a lot of collector cars, and have seen the market effects.

Brian
Old 12-17-2002, 12:53 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

McphailK,

.... And for some reason (God only Knows why) a trailor hitch was welded to the frame.....
Was the car one of the 972 that came with option ZN1 - Trailer Package?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:14 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

I like the silver but the grey I really don't care for.
Ok, I have to be picky.Both colors are silver .One is just a darker silver than the other.Sorry it is one of my pet peaves.Silver means it has metallic in it,gray doesnt.And I vote to paint it back to original. :yesnod:
Old 12-17-2002, 08:30 AM
OddBall
Race Director

Wow. I really appreaciate the advice. From what gathered from the previous owner the block is a "400 4-bolt main" with C-190 heads. A 309 rear end, and the pipes are 428 shelby cobra pipes customized to the corvette. As for that trailor hitch; it was a chunk of stainless steel welded to the frame. The car was purchased in Germany by a tank mechanic (the fellow I bought her from) sometime in the mid '80s from a soldier that had gotten himself into some legal hassels and had to sell.
Being in Germany the car naturally saw the Autobon. Which is probably also the reason she has a different engine. The mileage on the block is 60,000. The body is in great shape other than the paint. Everything in the interior with the exception of the speedometer works, but is in pretty sad shape otherwise so I have a lot of work to do there. I plan to spend a couple of months on the interior and other odds and ends, and then, hopefully by early spring I can have her painted.
Being a "Vette-Virgin", I really do appreaciate the input y'all have given me. -Mcphail

Get notified of new replies

To I need Restoration Advice

Quick Reply: I need Restoration Advice