C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD, Crane or Jacobs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:32 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD, Crane or Jacobs?

We have had many topics on this, but I was wondering if anybody has used the Jacobs ignition system. Jegs has it and looks pretty good. If you believe Crane there unit is much better than MSD? I am looking to upgrade my system this winter, thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: MSD, Crane or Jacobs? (467-Ratman)

All are good MSD offers the widest variety of coponets. I personally prefer Taylor/Mallory ignition systems. I'm running a Vertex Magneto on my BB.
:cheers:
Old 12-15-2002, 09:04 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

I've pondered this myself. If the Jacobs system does what they claim it would be worth the extra dollars. I haven't found anyone that has one and did have an MSD to compare it.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have a Jacobs ignition on my BB Cutlass and a Mallory in my 76 Stingray. They both have rev limiters. The Jacobs also came with spark plug wires and a high output coil. Both ignition systems work good, but I can't say if they are anybetter or worse than MSD because I've never ran an MSD box. However, I am very satisfied with both systems.

Old 12-15-2002, 09:33 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Another question that I forgot to ask. what is the deal with the new Digital systems, I know the MSD 6al is not the newer digital. Sounds like that might be the way to go, although the latest greatest is not allways the best?
Old 12-15-2002, 09:39 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used all 3. The Jacobs was good but did not find it superior to a Crane or the MSD 6 for perforamcne. They do offer an anti theft setup and revc limiter. However, I really do not think it worth the over 2x's the cost. The MSD 6 crapped out after 1 year. Not happy about that and it was not heat. The Crane HI-6 has run great and is priced at the same point as the MSD. Easy to install and with the built in rev limiter and when I bought it they gave the PS-92 coil with it from Summit. Check out the current catalog of Summit and see if the offer is still good.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i have jacob's pro street and i like it. i never ran an MSD so i can't comment. i did have my jacobs coil short out on me earlier this year. i called jacobs, they said it was under warranty, summit sent me a new one and i sent the old one back, end of story. i like that the jacobs rev limiter doesn't use pills, just uses a switch that you set and off you go. and if you like, you can just turn it off.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:47 AM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run both Jacob's and the MSD 6AL. The MSD only lasted about a year because it's not waterproof. Jacob's is. I also like the Jacobs rev limiter not using pills like the MSD unit.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD, Crane or Jacobs?

Quick Reply: MSD, Crane or Jacobs?