C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 09:51 AM
tonyk72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carb questions

I'm new to carbs and have no idea as to what I'm doing. I got a Holley 750 and my 'vette won't start. I think I flooded the engine/carb (not sure which term to use). When I take off the air cleaner and look in the "secondaries" I see a thin layer of gas. Is this why my 'vette isn't starting? It's turning over, but just won't start...help! Also, any recs as to a good beginners book as to how a carb works would be appreciated!
Old 12-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: carb questions (tonyk72)

Tony, you might want to check out all the tech papers in the http://www.corvettefaq.com web site. There is a wealth of info archived there and it is a sister site to this one. As far as your starting problem goes, if you are reasonably sure the engine is flooded (you can verify this by removing a spark plug to see if it's wet) then start with checking out your ignition. If you are getting no spark, or the timing is way off or something along those lines. You could have a stuck or "heavy" float causing too much fuel as well.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:38 AM
tonyk72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: carb questions (tonyk72)

My pop came over and sprayed some stuff in the carb, after a few tries she turned right over...I did flood the engine...I found out I pumped the pedal way too many times...and kept doin it after every start attempt..doh!

Get notified of new replies

To carb questions

Quick Reply: carb questions