C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Automatic shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 81 Automatic shifting problems

At partial throttle sometimes my car will buck when shifting between 1st & 2nd. There's no problem when shifting at full throttle and the shift between 2nd & 3rd is fine. What could be causing this?
Old 12-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 81 Automatic shifting problems (Ben Taylor)

I am really no expert on this at all, but the first things that come to mind for me are to drop the pan off and look to make sure all of the valves in the valve body are free and moving like they should be, with no sticking or broken springs. I am also thinking that you should check the lockup of your converter to make sure it is working properly. I'm not really sure on how you would do that, UKPaul is the guy to talk to on that one. He has the converter lockup function in these things down pat. :yesnod: I would think that it's just a selenoid so if you tapped into the wiring harness and ran a wire into the car so you can hook a light up to it you would be able to see when it locks up while you're driving, but somebody probably knows an easier method. Other than the lockup converter they're the same as any other TH350 so it should be easy to find some info on it.

-Justin

I just thought of a couple of other things. Check to make sure the vacuum hose is on the modulator, and it wouldn't hurt to pull the cover off of the governor and check to make sure something didn't come apart there.

[Modified by Dalannex, 10:00 AM 12/15/2002]

Quick Reply: 81 Automatic shifting problems