C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Trans Seal Replacement (700R4) - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 02:11 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Front Trans Seal Replacement (700R4) - Help Needed

I dropped the 700R4 this morning. The trans has been leaking at the front and I suspect either the front main shaft seal and/or the transmission pump cover seal.

Upon removal of the torque converter, I removed the 7-8 trans pump cover bolts. I noted on two (2) of the bolts that the rubber washers were torn and there was residue of transmission fluid on them. Should I obtain new trans pump cover bolts and rubber washers or are the washers available (the bolts themselves are fine)?

I tried pulling the pump cover off to find that it barely budges. I suspect the bushing or something is keeping the cover in place.

At this point, I'm ready to take the transmission to the local trans shop (Ziegler Transmission on Tampa Road here in Tampa, FL) to let them perform the main shaft seal, bolts/seals, pump seal and bushing replacement.

I also tried using one of those seal removal tools on the front main shaft seal. Bad idea. Did nothing but deform the seal metal, dohhh!

Before I inflict more damage, I'm going to take it in to the shop. They did a decent job of replacing the other seals (rear seal/bushing, speedo, selector, pan) so I'm inclined to trust them again.

Advice and/or guidance welcome. :seeya
Old 12-14-2002, 02:25 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Front Trans Seal Replacement (700R4) - Help Needed (TedH)

If your only replacing the torque convertor seal ,you dont have to pull the pump,is the front pump seal leaking too?
Old 12-14-2002, 02:41 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Front Trans Seal Replacement (patsnitrovette)

My suspicion is that it is two of the pump bolts/rubber washers (they were torn), the front bushing and the front trans shaft seal.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:13 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Front Trans Seal Replacement (TedH)

the last time i did a transmission rebuild,i remember right i had to make a puller to get the front pump out.Maybe somone else can chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Trans Seal Replacement (700R4) - Help Needed

Quick Reply: Front Trans Seal Replacement (700R4) - Help Needed