C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 04:22 AM
blue72lt4sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt

what are thing to look for to see if i need to do a rebuild? :chevy
Old 12-14-2002, 08:12 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Default Re: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt (blue72lt4sc)

My corvette shop guy recomends rebuilding after 50K miles.
Here is how I check mine. Jack up the car so that the tires are off the groud.
Use jack stands to support the car safely. Grab the wheel in both hands.
Check for play in the wheel and you try to move the wheel in and out.
The more play the worse the bearing. Im not sure of the tolerance of movement that is considered acceptable though. I do know that mine need rebuilt.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:28 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt (Got79Fever)

new rear bearings are setup to .0005"- .0015"- depending on who you talk to. I set up 2 cars last year to .00157" to be exact and didn't have a problem. The manual gives a .001- .008" end play spec, but anything over .003" and you're going to have problems.
You can jack the car up as stated and check end polay with a dial indicator and also feel for any roughnes or noise while rotating the rotor by hand.This is best to do with the 1/2 shaft and caliper out of the way so you're only moving the rotor/bearings,drag from the pads or binding ofthe U joints can decive you. Properly setup the bearings should go well over 100k miles.
good luck,
Gary
Old 12-14-2002, 09:40 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt (gtr1999)

Gary, excellent post-exactly the way I've done three of mine. Also had no dial indicator. With the halfshaft out, caliper off and rotor off, you certainly can "feel" any grittiness, dryness, looseness(any other 'nesses??? :lol: )in the spindle rotation. My '68, '75 & '80 were done by Bair's. Took the spindle carriers to them, and for $150 per side parts and labor included, you get a piece that looks like an NOS piece. They're work is superb :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-14-2002, 12:56 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt (Paul Borowski)

Bair's Rocks!

They did the full $300/side service on my trailing arms after I had a bearing fail. They look and work great.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:47 AM
blue72lt4sc
Instructor

Default Re: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt (rainman69)

i checked mine..and i cannot feel any play and there is no noise, grinding or anything to suggest that the bearings are bad.....but i want to change the parking brake stuff and paint the dust shield...how do i take em apart and not disturd the bearings and shims......also..these could have been rebuilt...do any of the guys put their name or anything on assemblies they rebuild like van steele or blairs?
Old 12-20-2002, 03:58 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt (blue72lt4sc)

IMHO, if you don't know when they were last done, do it. I've read too many horror stories about these failing with extensive damage to the vehicle.

I drive much easier knowing that mine are new, although I still had the rivets in the rear rotors so I know mine were original (30 years old).
Old 12-20-2002, 06:50 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hopefully before the axle spindle breaks and sends your wheel/tire combo thru the top of the fender and thru the quarter panel. seriously, altho the afore mentioned can and has happenned, jack up the rear, hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and give it a twist you should have a little play, if in doubt take it to a vette mechanic. if you put hands at 6 and 12 o'clock you get the add'l play from the half shafts, etc. i rebuilt my own bearings and they are set at .003, local consensus was too loose was well, 'too loose' and i would just have to do the job again soon. 'too tight' wouldn't let the grease flow thru the bearing, resulting in doing it again soon, so i set mine at .003.

Get notified of new replies

To question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt

Quick Reply: question 2 - when do i need to have my rear bearings rebuilt