C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power antenna

Hey guys, my '81 power antenna was inopperable when I it last month for $4,800 out the door. The wiring for it had been messed with before. Those damn climp connectors never stay on. I re-did the wiring and plugged it in. The motor runs, but nothing happens. The mast is stuck up, (fortunately), but the running is constant, car on, car off, radio on, radio off. Do I need to replace it? Or is it something I can repair? How difficult is this either way with the exhaust in the way? Seems like something is just not catching. Otherwise my car seems pretty decent. I'll list some other items on my list to get your ideas: Just took her out after filling the windsheild washer res. a week ago, and all the fluid leaked from the bottom, that's another fun them to change as it looks, oil temp gauge isn't moving at all, soon after it gets warm, service lights comes on, then goes off, doesn't come back on, passenger door lock doesn't lock all the way, (sluggish). Right now, that's it, at least what I can think of. Sorry for the length. This is a very helpful sight. Thank you ahead of time. :chevy
Old 12-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: power antenna (Vette Named Danielle)

Most of the vendors sell a repair kit for about $20. They say it fixes 95% of non-working power antennas.

If you wish to replace it with a NOS antenna, you're going to have to look around a bit as most are only selling universal style antennas.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Danielle....Welcome to the CF on you're first post!! Yep, Simone is correct. Got my repair kit from Eckler's. I removed the entire power antenna unit, drilled out the rivets on the unit, and replaced the nylon cord-like mechanism that raised the antenna. The kit consists of a new metal antenna also. Just replace the rivets that were drilled out with stainless nuts/bolts. As far as other problems, washer res. buy it used and replace it, You have a computer in your 81, not sure about the service light, maybe oil sender switch is causing the problem. The computer might be reading no oil pressure. Start with a another sender, that's the easiest. If that don't work then get another gauge, again you could get it used or new. Your passenger power door lock has the same problem all old vette mechanisms have. It's clogged up with gook. Take off door panel, inner lock assembly, be careful not to loose any clip/parts and thouroly clean assembly. If you don't want to disassemble, then stuff rags under door lock/opener and clean with any good solvent. Hope I cover most of your project questions. Post some questions about the 81's computer if you're still not sure or if you have additional questions. You'll find a hugh amount of vette knowledge at the CF. PS, get youself an 81 GM manual. L8TER, Paul.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:15 AM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

Just did the antenna mast repair last month. Piece of cake :cheers: I picked the kit up from my local chevy dealer parts dept. for $16.85 with a club discount(25%) and saved on the shipping.
Oil temp may be the wire that hooks to the probe in the engine . You can get to it from the drivers side under the car. Mine had stopped working and I found the wire had broken. I love the simple repairs :thumbs:
Where are my manners :bb Welcome to the nuthouse!!!

[Modified by n8370c, 9:16 AM 12/14/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Default Re: power antenna (Vettesic)

Paul, thank you for the instructions. Can't wait to get a chance to try them. My only other question is the ease of changing the antenna for the rehab. It seems pretty tight up there to get my hand and arm in to do the work. Real excited to try the door lock cleaning, hope it works. The windsheild washer bottle looks like it will be a little tight to change also?? Again, thank you. Brian :chevy
Old 12-16-2002, 02:54 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, because replacing or removing for that matter, the windsheild washer fluid bottle is one of the few jobs I've not done on my '81. Don't know for sure, but believe I've heard that you may have to remove the brake master cylinder to get the washer fluid bottle out of there.

As has been said, you can find the oil temp sending unit on your '81 by the oil filter housing on the engine, the oil pressure sending unit is located at the rear of the intake manifold / lifter valley area.

I too have replaced the mast in my electric antenna, and while it was a little tight up there, I did not have to remove the muffler to remove the antenna.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:24 PM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Default Re: power antenna (n8370c)

Hi again, what discount did you use for your antenna, which club? Thanks :steering:
Old 12-16-2002, 07:00 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Danielle....Try these....
www.ecklers.com 1800-327-4868
www.madirect.com 1800-500-8388
There are also the vendors that support the forum. L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To power antenna

Quick Reply: power antenna