C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 03:10 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet?

Anyone know where I can get an idle up solenoid to fix my 71 Q-jet? Apparently this unit has both an electrical and vacuum connection. I help
will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

71, 454 LS-5, 4 speed..
Old 12-13-2002, 04:37 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet? (carbster09)

Chris,
The solEnoid you are looking for is gettig hard to find. It was used at the end of 70 production and continued thru 71. In 72 a solenoid was used without the vacuum hook up. I have a 71 unit, that it is not in real good shape, but it is functional. I am realy not interested in selling it. You might try Dr Rebuilt or Pargon, or look on ebay. You could put a reqest in on the C3 parts for sale section of the CF.
Ed
Old 12-13-2002, 05:09 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ed, I am trying to get Paragon to come up with the part. I did not realise just how rare the thing is ....

Carbster09 :thumbs:
Old 12-13-2002, 05:15 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Apparently these solenoids are no longer availible :confused:

Anybody out there have any idea as to how I can get one or who I can get one off of?

Help, I want to be driving for Xmas!!!

Thanks

Carbster09
Old 12-14-2002, 10:27 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with your search. I manged to get one about 6 years ago after a fairly long search and many phone calls to small vendors. It will be much more difficult now, but someone out there must have one left on a shelf. Your best bet will be looking for a used one. I would start calling Corvette dismantlers and small Corvette parts vendors that have been around for years.
Do you need it for emissions testing, or just for the sake of originality? Other than those reasons, it really is not needed. If you do need it for those reasons, then I also suggest trying to find spares of the two relays that make this system work while your at it and while you still can. These are the two small boxes mounted high on the firewall between the master cylinder and wiper motor.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:32 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

You really dont need this solenoid to drive your car. The purpose of the solenoind was to help pass EPA requiements. Just hook up your vacuum line to a ported vacuum conection on the carb. If the idle control of the solenoid does not work, just use the idle control screw on the side of the carb.
Ed
Old 12-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet? (ED DINAPOLI)

:iagree:

Chuck
Old 12-14-2002, 06:30 PM
stingray72
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet? (Chuck Harmon)

Doc Rebuild has them - PN 3275602. Thay also have the mounting bracket, and the jam nut. 203-366-1332.

George
Old 12-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These and other NOS parts will no longer be available at the above mentioned source. Instead you will have to rely on ebay, where the market price for NOS parts is controlled by supply and demand.

In the past, a fellow I’ll refer to a Joe Blo went on a repetitive rant here when he could not afford the price of a genuine GM discontinued part that was optional and therefore not even found on all Corvettes of his vintage. He became abusive and raged for weeks on end, only to find there just were not any others to be had brand spanking new in the GM box.

Ebay seems to be the perfect solution. In that arena, nobody is denied their opportunity to refurbish their model to the level that suits their individual requirements. If they want NOS versus used, they can purchase same and the market will determine the fair price. The L-88, L-89, real Z-06 and FI owners do not complain when they sell their vehicles and few would deny that supply and demand determine their fair value also. If desirable Corvettes and their parts were of no value, few would covet them and find them desirable.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Vettehead #18-1
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more!

Get notified of new replies

To idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet?

Quick Reply: idle up solenoid for a 71 Q-jet?