C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shims ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 01:36 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear shims ?

Does the bolt holding the rear trailing arm need to come out to install new shims? I"m missing all shims on one side, I can insert the new one"s in without any trouble, at least the first few thanks.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:16 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: rear shims ? (vettedreams)

Hey, do I win the prize for pointing out the possibility of the shims being missing? :D

The stainless shims you can buy have one slotted end that's designed to fit over the trailing arm bolt. The other end has a hole for the cotter pin that holds the shins into the frame pocket. You don't have to remove the bolt to install them, just loosen it and pound them in. You really should have an alignment shop do this so they can set the rear toe and align it with the proper number of shims on each side of the trailing arm.

Shannon
Old 12-13-2002, 02:29 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

vettedreams,

As sb69coupe says, the shims have slots so all you have to do is loosen the trailing arm bolt and slide them in. Using stainless steel shims is a good idea because of rust. Be sure to get the long cotter key that holds the shims in place.

I have included this link to C3 FAQ. There are several links to alignment information.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/susp.asp

The Van Steel 1963-82 suspension video shows how to do a quick alignment so that you can get to your alignment shop.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:49 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rear shims ? (sb69coupe)

Yes, Shannon, you win a free lunch..... next time you"re out this way :D by the way, where is Apex anyway? I"m over here east of New Bern. Thanks again for the knowledge. :thumbs:
Old 12-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

And some more trivia for y'all....

Some OEM shims were not slotted... they had a hole in each end, and could only be removed or installed by removing the through bolt. I have a bunch of these, brand new, with the GM part number stickers still on them.

Tom (Shannons friend) guilt by association. :)

Get notified of new replies

To rear shims ?

Quick Reply: rear shims ?