C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window tinting over defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 01:07 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear window tinting over defroster

Have you guys put tint over the heater defrost circuits on the rear window with good success?

Also Can I see any pics of what the tint percentages look like. I think in Minnesota, the law is 50%.

Thanks

Brent....
Old 12-13-2002, 02:52 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Rear window tinting over defroster (MN-Brent)

Mine is applied over the defroster and I haven't had too many problems. It burned through in one spot but that was where I had used a defroster repair kit that has conductive ink that you paint on. I painted it on a little too thick, so the heat builds a little more at that point. You can't even see it from the outside and it's only a hole about .125 in diameter. Otherwise I've had no problems. Window film can take a lot of heat so it will be fine.

I can't help you with what it will look like. I'm running 5% on all the windows so basically, nobody can see in. To me, 20% seems almost clear.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:36 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't do a "before and after" on mine, so I won't have a good side by side comparision, but, I'll try to get a picture of mine for you.

I used 35%. That's what was on the shelf at the local auto parts store and that's what I assumed was the legal limit. I don't think it's terribly dark (guess I should have checked what the legal limit was), but it has helped in reducing the annoying glare from headlights (which is the big reason I wanted it).

It's only been on a month or so, but I've run the defroster a few times and had no problems. I don't recall if it's recommended in the directions, but would suggest waiting a while (maybe a week) before using the defroster to give the film a chance to dry & set.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:12 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

In Texas, 35% is the max on the driver and passenger windows. All others can be as dark as you want. I had a coupe with a good quality tint over my defroster (professionally installed) and never incurred any issues.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Rear window tinting over defroster (SharkAttack)

Brent, I used the plastic shielding offered by Mid America. Most CF members don't like it. I must admit it's not the clearest either, but it does work and easy to install. Here is a pic. I believe it's 35%. L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear window tinting over defroster

Quick Reply: Rear window tinting over defroster