C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress REport, Guys and Girls!

Old 12-12-2002, 10:52 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Progress REport, Guys and Girls!

The 350 was yanked like a bad tooth. Old exhaust system tossed like a rusty paperweight. New stuff ordered in as my wallet will allow!

The 383 has been planted. The 795CFM Edlebrock Q-Jet with electric choke has been installed. The engine has a Moroso 7-qt pan full of oil, and it has been primed. The Ceramic Coated Headers are in.

Waiting a Radiator to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Engine Compartment primed and painted. Anxiety is HIGH!

I'm awaiting now, just the radiator and the ex system. The rad will be a brand new High Efficeincy core (18 fins/inch rather than 12) and everything else is in place.

The driveshaft and both half-shafts have new u-joints. The Trans has been rebuilt.

The Dyno Shop's best exhaust man has been assigned the task of designing and installing the best ex system for the car. The tank is full of 92 octane premium. The battery is charged. I am charged too! My credit cards have been charged!

Ahh, it's gonna be a long night. CAn't work on it til morning.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Progress REport, Guys and Girls! (SanDiegoPaul)

Christmas comes early for Paul in San Diego...

I know just how you feel! Reminds me of Christmas Eve every year. No wonder people get plastered on Christmas Eve... you pass out, and by the time you feel the splitting headache, it's Christmas!!! :)

...yeah, I don't recommend you do that before you work on the engine tomorrow. I can't wait to hear how it goes, man! Take it to the smog shop! I wanna know if I can up the cam in my car!

-Steve(crossing fingers for you)
Old 12-13-2002, 01:32 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

My credit cards have been charged!
That is the secret to a happy Corvette owner...... :cheers:
Old 12-13-2002, 10:02 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Progress REport, Guys and Girls! (Pacin'California)

yeah, I don't recommend you do that before you work on the engine tomorrow. I can't wait to hear how it goes, man! Take it to the smog shop! I wanna know if I can up the cam in my car!

Yes you can. The cam in mine even has a California legal sticker! As does the carburetor, intake, and headers. Only the stroker kit does not ... and if the motor runs clean enough (no reason it shouldn't) then I'll be stylin'!! :rolleyes:
Old 12-14-2002, 12:19 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's an update:

We got the radiator in. Replaced the starter with a NEW high-torque unit that is half the size of the OEM one. Then we started to assemble the belts/hoses/accessories and found another stumble: The alternator bracket looks like it needs to have the slot lengthened to swing the alt far enough to clear the tall cast aluminum rocker covers. On the other side, the smog pump looks like it needs to be swung waayyyyyy inward toward the intake in order to clear .... thereby using a real REAL short belt. Dunno how that all is going to play out.

Worked on it between other (paying!) jobs yesterday and 5PM came too soon. We were tired so I just closed the shop.... :rolleyes: Monday is another day. I still need to do the exhaust system too so it just wouldn't have rolled out Friday anyway. Darn I want to DRIVE IT!! To make matters worse, another Vette owner brought in a '77 L-82 4-speed yesterday for a Dyno Tune. His complaint was that the new motor in it **should** have had more power. Made me drool! We were able to get him about 25 HP additional with Dyno Tuning.

I think I've decided to go along with the engine builder's recommendation of just running on the Dyno after the cam is broken in. He says that since it is a blueprinted motor, not to be afraid of anything ... and there should be no break-in period necessary for anything but the cam. He says to drop the oil right after breaking in the cam, change the filter, and do it again in 3K miles.

So Monday I should have some horsepower numbers!! :cheers: :cool:

Next problem: The weatherman says it's gonna rain in San Diego Sunday thru Tuesday. So I may not even be driving it 'til mid or late week!!

:smash: :mad
Old 12-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SanDiegoPaul,

Waiting is always the worst part. Make sure your throttle cable is properly adjusted and doesn't slip like mine and a few others. Buy a few cigars for Monday. To me it is like the birth of a child; but, my wife says I'm really warped! She just doesn't understand the Inner Me> :yesnod:

Chuck
Old 12-14-2002, 08:15 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Progress REport, Guys and Girls! (Chuck Harmon)

Buy a few cigars for Monday. To me it is like the birth of a child; but, my wife says I'm really warped!

I agree (and a Greek too!) waiting is the hard part!! And yes I do feel like I'm giving birth. This heart transplant shouldn't have taken sooo long but hey, when I turn the key, pull the tops off, and grin none of the hearburn will matter. :cheers: Oh and have the wife call me at The Dyno Shop - I'll set her straight for you!! :blueangel: :lol: :lol: :lol: ?

We all know what this is like! :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Progress REport, Guys and Girls!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Progress REport, Guys and Girls!