C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 06:24 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them?

I found this site and have been getting information from them.

Has anyone dealt with them or have experience with them?
http://www.affordable-efi.com/

Old 12-12-2002, 06:43 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (phoenix)

You see that powdercoated chrome tpi unit on special for 1550.00 with custom harness and everything,that has your name written all over it. :yesnod:
Old 12-12-2002, 06:52 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (patsnitrovette)

:cool:

I wish.... I'm getting all of my components together, but AFI seems to be able to make a kit for me with only the things that I need.

I inquired about a custom harness, fuel pump, fuel rails, ECM, custom chip and all sensors since I already have the intake, runners, TB and injectors (all used but available to me)

They quoted me $765 for this setup. (ECM under dash, with electric fan relay, no knock sensor or EGR)

Do you think that this is a good deal considering the individual cost of the parts:
$300 wiring harness
$100 fuel pump
$25-50 ECM
$sensors (time and $$ to find junk yard ones)
$50-100 fuel rail

Convenience of having them all at once. Phone customer service, unlimited reprogramming of the chip.

Is it worth it?

And man that powder coated unit looks good :D:D
Old 12-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (patsnitrovette)

Gimme one a dem!!!!!

If there is some postive feed back, I might have to jump on that deal. Now to figure out how to get a super charger under the hood............. :yesnod:
Old 12-12-2002, 07:00 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (phoenix)

doesnt seem like a bad deal,especially the customer service part,Im gone to give this page to a friend of mine(x-otic)from the forum here who has a pantera he wants to fuel inject ,this site might work for him. :cheers:
Old 12-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (Fevre)

Elsie MI!

That is about 1.5 hours from me at the most and about .5 hours from my parents. Might have to see if I can visit their operation and work out a group purchase, off line of course. Wait to get more input before getting too involved.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:13 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (Fevre)

Chris I might be interested in this as well, I have to admit that I know diddly squat about FI and which system is better, ie. I think the Holley is about $900 and Edelbrock is considerably more. I will have to learn more about these systems and ease of use and instal etc. Btw how are you bud, haven't talked to you in a long while. :cheers:
Old 12-12-2002, 07:50 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (gdh)

I emailed the contact person again just to verify what comes with the package that I listed above. I also asked for a cam recommendation given the fact that the rest of my engine is stock. Here is what he sent me in reply.

Here is what you receive.

ECM with programmed chip

MAP sensor

O2 Sensor w/ weld in bung

External fuel pump, not sure what the exact flow specs are but we have run engines well over 550 hp with the pump with no issues.

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Fuel Rail from a TPI unit.

9th injector plug if needed.

It will work with your TH400

A Comp Cams 260H will work just great for your application.

If you get this cam I have enough information for your system.

I think that this may be a great deal since the service seems great (I've emailed him twice in two days. I received replies with exactly what I was looking for within a matter of hours, even in the evening)
That goes a long way too. :)
Old 12-12-2002, 08:09 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I had already emailed him a question about a group discount to which he replied that he could do it provided we have at least 3 people ordering. :)

Also, if I want to add the distributor then the total price is $760.

Sounds like I've got a winner.

If anyone else wants in, let me know soon so that I can order mine if nobody else is going to. I'm not sure how much of a discount he can offer for a group discount, but he said give him numbers and he could let us know. :D:D

Any takers?
Old 12-12-2002, 10:55 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

I would find out if they have a programmable interface with their kits. I think that's nice that they give you a starter program, but let me tell you (from over 10 years of working with late-model EFI in high powered street applications), one size does NOT fit all. I don't care if the parts are identical to a car they have tuned themselves. The program may be "close", but if you're going away from a carb anyway, why get "close", when you can get "optimum"?

EFI is great, and I have very little doubt that at some point in time I will put some sort of FI on my '69 BB I just bought.

FI is not hard to tune at all. In fact, as I type I'm working on modifying the programming in my '02 Z06. :)

Having a base program to work from is excellent, but do not get tied into a particular company to get "reburns", or you will be sorry later. Want to change cams, add a blower, or a 100hp shot of giggle gas...? FI works awesome with all that, but it is a rip off to have to send your ECM back across the country to have someone 2000 miles away make an educated _guess_ as to what your engine needs.

More than my $.02, but based on years of hot-rodding FI cars.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:13 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (WA 2 FST)

More than my $.02, but based on years of hot-rodding FI cars.
I appreciate your reply, I guess that this is what the Holley and Edelbrock system offer, with their programability with a laptop. Which system would you opt for based on your experience.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:34 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (gdh)

Happy to help. :)

Please give me some good links to the two different systems, so I can take a look at them. I'll get back on here in the AM.

I am primarily familiar with cars already equipped with EFI...and then have good aftermarket systems that allow a programmable interface with the stock systems. As far as complete aftermarket stand-alone units, I have less experience, but should be able to have some input based on what they are set up to do.

Programmable is the only way to go, IMHO. Otherwise, you're stuck with a cookie-cutter program, and you're at the mercy of someone far away. If you find a shop close-by that is willing to help, that is better, but this stuff is not rocket-science. If you're setting it up from scratch, it can be a bit more cumbersome, so having a base program to work from is always nice. After that, if the program is user-friendly, its fun and easy.

Shoot, to me tuning a carb is harder. ;)
Old 12-12-2002, 11:40 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them? (WA 2 FST)

I guess that I'm lucky in that there are a couple of forum members locally who have done a lot of custom programming on their C4s. They have everything that I will need to customize the chips. On the up side, AFI does state that they will customize chips for you as needed. I am sure that after a few, they would charge you, but the first couple are included as are new ones for major modifications. But, I do hear you in that they are too far away and obviously can't do a perfect design.

:)
Old 12-13-2002, 07:41 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Holley makes a programable unit to control a tpi system, part number 950-101:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../C950EMSK.html

Now to find a place that sells the kit. :confused:
Old 12-13-2002, 08:07 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I appreciate your reply, I guess that this is what the Holley and Edelbrock system offer, with their programability with a laptop. Which system would you opt for based on your experience.
Only the holley cmdr950 is programmable via a laptop. The Edelbrock system still uses a pre-programmed chip and then offers fine tuning via a hand held controller (included).

I would only go with the edelbrock system if you do not have a laptop, and do not like tinkering. Otherwise the cmdr950 is designed several years later than the edelbrock (2001 vs I believe 1994), and we all know the difference in electronics 7 years makes.

I'm running the cmdr950 system on my 454, so if anyone has any questions regarding the holley system, feel free to ask...
Old 12-13-2002, 08:07 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Here is the Edelbrock site http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
carr54997
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable Fuel Injection rip off

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to inform everyone. I bought an Affordable Fuel Injection kit, had nothing but performance problems. They do not know how to program their chips. After several re-programmed chips, with absolutely no improvement, I finally gave up on it and tried to get a refund. I sent the parts back to them within the 60 day warranty period. They would not honor their warranty or refund policy now I am screwed.

Get notified of new replies

To Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Write to your State's Attorney General office. Send them copies of the warranty info and your receipts...also any communications relating to your warranty refund claim. They tend to frown on businesses that don't honor their warranties.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carr54997
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to inform everyone. I bought an Affordable Fuel Injection kit, had nothing but performance problems. They do not know how to program their chips. After several re-programmed chips, with absolutely no improvement, I finally gave up on it and tried to get a refund. I sent the parts back to them within the 60 day warranty period. They would not honor their warranty or refund policy now I am screwed.
thank you
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
carr54997
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch 7T1vette. Didn't think about the State's Attorney General office. So far BBB is not helping but AFI is not a BBB member and has a B rating with them. I should have taken that as a warning. I will let everyone know if the Attorney General helps out.

Quick Reply: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them?