C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Membaer look fro advice and help.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:07 PM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Membaer look fro advice and help.

Some other members thought I should maybe post here to get some more responses.

New Member Looking For Information 9:08 AM 12/9/2002

I am a new member to the site. I have been looking around for a few months enjoying the vast amout of information that you guys have. I been looking around at corvetts and prices for a while now. I looking for some advice and some insight about C3 Corvettes. I am 25 and am looking to hopefully own a corvette in the near future. I have always wanted a C3 vette since I could drive but for obvious reasons ($$$) have never had the oppturnity to own one. I am a car guy so I am not some punk that just wants a "hot" car that knows nothing about cars and should never own an older car to begin with.
Anyway, what I am writing about. I do not buy anything without doing my research. I am looking to buy a daily driver that just needs a few cosmetic things to do like it it needs interior work or painting. I want something I can drive about twice a week and on weekends and be very proud to drive. I am not looking to buy a show winner (20-30K) I am just looking for a good sturdy 68'-72' vette hopefully around >12k (If I have my choice I would get a 68' or 69' convert).I am wanting to know about insurance cost? Wondering about major things I need to look for when buying an old vette? If I have to take it somewhere to do routine maintanice am I goin' to pay out the rear? Is it even possible to find a 68-72 convert for under $15k (the absolute max I wnat to spend)? Has anybody bought a car off ebay and how safe is it? If i find a car half way across the country is there somewhere to get it looked at so you do not buy anything site unseen. Any other comments about owning and buying a vette that would be helpful.
I am just trying to do my homework and try to avoid getting taken.I am looking on corvette sites to get as much knowledge as I can. Hopefully in the spring I can find "my dream car". My family has some old trucks but we have owned them since they came from the showroom so I am not used to looking for old cars and their problems and buying pitfalls. The corvette has always been my favorite old car along with the old Chevells and Camaros but the Chevelles and Camaros are to hard to find rust free and the corvette is just an awesome car. I just want a "play toy" and get it paid off before me and my wife start to have a family and those sort of things. Sorry to be long winded but I do not want to get my hopes up of owning a vette only to be let down if it is too much trouble or money. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:32 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: New Membaer look fro advice and help. (TMCADAMS)

:seeya Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already done so , you need to buy a "how to buy a Corvette" book there are several to choose from , but you can find some that are specific to '68-'82 Sharks. Border's has a good selection.

To get the car you want, I think your price range will have to move up to $18-$25K. The books will tell you to buy the most expensive car you can (someone else has done the work) and then you can maintain it. Check the want ads and car lots locally and go see all that you can, this will give you a guide of whats out there. When I was looking, I made a point of looking but not driving on my first visit. Then I would leave and think it over on my way to the next, comparing it to others I saw. This way I realised that there was way to much wrong with some cars for me to go back.

You can do a search in the archives to find detail check lists, etc. on buying. Rust, yeah rust on a Vette, is the big problem. It's on the frame,etc. Southern cars have higher milage than northern cars(stored 6+ months of winter).

O well I am rambling, just look at as many as you can and go to some shows, etc and talk with the owners.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:39 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

TMCADAMS,

The "Corvette Black Book" (updated yearly) contains a wealth of information about what changed year-to-year on these cars. It is a good walk around reference book.

The late 70's Corvettes were the most popular in terms of sales. Today this translates into a greater supply that drives lower prices.

68' / 69' convertibles, in contrast, were built in a MUCH more limited supply and many were outfitted with large block engines that command premium $$$.

Many parts from 1963 thru 1982 can be used on any year Corvette. Those parts are relatively inexpensive. If you choose a "rare" car be aware that you will pay $$$ for any "rare" parts you might need. Because of this parts interchangeablity among years, you can make any year be what you want - just bring money.

You might contact the NCRS chapter in your area. A local member's inspection (even if it costs) may save you from big expenses later. Even if you only want a "driver", it is nice to know what the car originally was like. Lots of things can be changed on a car over 35 years - some you may like/dislike.

Some of the major Corvette Shows (Bloomington Gold) have workshops on how to purchase a Corvette. Look at LOTS of cars.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Pogo72
Instructor

Another thought. Join a local Corvette club. In just about every club there are guys that know where all the local Vettes for sale are located and have bought and sold enough of them to know what to look for. Seek out their help and you will most likely find what you are looking for.

Al
Old 12-12-2002, 04:32 PM
tonyk72
Racer

Default Re: New Membaer look fro advice and help. (Pogo72)

I found a '72 BB, 4spd in MO...needed paint, had a bunch of new parts and was matching #'s and no rust (so they guy said). I talked him down to 14k over the phone. This was the one I wanted to buy, but the LT-1 was closer to home, so I got that instead :)
Let me know if interested, I still got his contact info and pics...
collectorcartraderonline.com and cars.com are some good places to look
most of the e-bay cars i've seen are way overpriced...i think most sellers are not really looking to sell, but if they got some outrageous price they would...
Old 12-13-2002, 06:06 AM
TMCADAMS
Advanced

Default Re: New Membaer look fro advice and help. (tonyk72)

Thanks for all the input guys. I tend to agree about e-bay. All the cars on there seem way over priced as to what I find in teh news apaers and thru local people.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:22 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Insurance cost will be based on the value of the car. If you insure the car for 10k or 20k. Most insurance companies will require an appraisal.

Welcome aboard :seeya .
Old 12-13-2002, 06:29 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: New Membaer look fro advice and help. (SmokedTires)

uh-oh... "Teh" is making its way from OT to C3!!! :lol: you cand find a good 68-72 for 12K, but it may need a little work. sonds like your up to it, and can do it though, so im sure youll find something you like. :cheers:
Old 12-13-2002, 04:41 PM
GtBzLivin
Intermediate

I agree with Tony - watch here or Collector Car online. I found my '72 Vert there for 15K and am well pleased with her.

E Bay - make sure you get an inspection before you buy. I know someone who was stuck with a car listed as stolen - it had a non marketable title. A lawsuit is pending.

My husband just got done checking out a '69 Vert with both hard and soft tops - they're asking 13.5K. This one has had some modifications - I don't know if you want the strictly original stuff or what.

They're out there, it just takes a lot of looking.

Insurance seems pretty reasonable to me compared to my daily driver vehicle.

Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To New Membaer look fro advice and help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Membaer look fro advice and help.