C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Lock Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 10:02 AM
StingrayMike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Lock Help

My steering wheel/ignition lock was working just fine. Pulled into the driveway and now can't get the steering wheel and ignition switch to lock back. have tried changing to a flat surface to park, turned the wheel multiple times, re-shifted back and forth to reverse and jiggled the switch with no success....HELP! :confused:
Old 12-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Steering Wheel Lock Help (StingrayMike)

Assuming you can shift into reverse normally, I would get the car up on jackstands and check the function of the lockout linkage from where it connects to the tranny's reverse linkage to the column in front of the firewall for binding or other problems while someone else is in the car shifting into reverse. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 12-12-2002, 01:03 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Steering Wheel Lock Help (Marks69BB)

The steering wheel lockout is just a little spring-loaded button that sticks up into grooves on a metal plate in your steering column. Hopefully Jim Shae will give you a hand with this. Check out the Corvette FAQ's for his steering papers.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:54 PM
silver69
Racer

It sounds like the problem I had with my 69 where the key could be removed but the steering wheel never locked. I removed the wheel, horn contact, hub and slotted plate. then I lubricated the pin/spring that locks into the slotted plate and now it works fine. Just a little wd-40 and it works as good as new.
Good luck
Steve
Old 12-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Check and make sure tranny rev cable lock on steering column in engine compartment is all the way up, maybe disconnect and test.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:26 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

What year Corvette do you have? Do you have a T&T or a standard (non-adjustable) column? There are several possibilities as to your problem. A lot depends on what type system is in your car.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:04 AM
StingrayMike
Intermediate

Default Re: Steering Wheel Lock Help (Jim Shea)

Thanks for all the responses, I will explore all the listed avenues this weekend. Have a fresh can of old fathful (WD40) standing by. Will let ya all know the results.

Jim, it's a standard column no T/T.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If your Vette is a 1969 through 1976 there is a cable coming from the transmission that hooks onto a lever on the lower end of the steering column (in the engine compartment out under the brake booster). When you shift the manual transmission into reverse, the cable should push the column lever all the way "up". When the automatic transmission is shifted into "Park" the cable should also push the lever "up". Pushing the lever all the way "up" opens a gate inside the column head and allows you to turn the ignition key to "Off-Lock" and also into "Accessory". If the cable is disconnected and the lever is in any position but "up" you will be able to turn the engine off but you will not be able to continue turning counterclockwise to the "Off-Lock" position and remove your ignition key from the column.

BTW, WD40 is a good degreaser. So it will clean parts, but it is not a lubricant. So after shooting the lock cylinder with WD40, then a few drops of synthetic motor oil is what is recommended to lubricate your lock cylinder.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel Lock Help

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Lock Help