C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 06:38 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals

I've tried everything to eliminate a transmission leak. I've replaced the transmission lines (with 700R4 lines; no more leaks there), I'm on my third pan gasket, I replaced the slip yoke on the trans (that WAS a big improvement; no more rear seal leaks) and had the selector shaft, rear seal, and speedo gear seals replaced by a shop). The only thing that hasn't been 'touched' in all of this is the front main shaft seal and/or the pump cover seal(s). I suspect these are the problem.

I just replaced the pan gasket for the third time (adding a nice stock depth chrome pan while I'm at it) and put 4 quarts into the transmission. I've left it sit for the last three nights and have been under the car looking for the source of the leak. The transmission overall looks dry; no apparent external leaks from the sides or the rear and the pan is also dry on the exterior. There is a very slow leak coming from the converter cover drain hole so I suspect there is an oil leak from the front seals.

I installed this transmission in the fall of 2001 and I do not look forward to having to drop this thing and risk breaking something in the process (including bones).

I'd rather pay to have someplace like Cottman, Aamco, or National Transmission perform a seal replacement that has a guarantee.

What should I expect to pay for a shop to pull the transmission, replace the front seal (minimum front shaft seal, potentially the pump cover seal) and re-install? Are we talking $300-400 here?

The wife may not like my spending this much but, after a year of constantly checking the trans fluid level in a transmission that is 'new' and cleaning the floor, I've had it with this trans leak. It's enough to make me consider parting with the car so you can understand my frustration.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals (TedH)

Ted,
I have the same problem. The Mitchell flat rate used by GM is about five hours at your local $ rate. I can confirm that for you tomorrow if you wish.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:31 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DON'T go to a national tranny chain! Just ask some of their satisfied customers. It's kinda like an AutoZone alternator -- sure, it has a lifetime warranty, but you'll be back there more than once!

There must be a decent independent mechanic in your area who will stand behind his or her work.

I have the same problem with a leaky Bowtie 2004R -- but we're not sure if it's the front seal or pan gasket yet. A local (and very knowledgeable) Vette mechanic quoted me $300 if he does indeed have to pull the tranny to replace the front seal. :smash:
Old 12-11-2002, 09:45 PM
mp77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you from having been an installer at aamco years ago that it is only about a two hour job or less for a pro with a lift and air tools. If they quote you out of some flat rate per hour labor book, they will probably quote for more than two hours. Figure if five as the other post says at $45 dollars an hour(and that may be on the low side)plus parts, maybe 250 to 300 dollars total. Or if you can find a shop that will quote you for true labor rate, then less. I use to pull a th350 in 15 minutes and install in 25. The vette takes a little longer because a lot of the times you have to pull some of the exhaust. Having worked at many aamcos, I just do not trust them. I could tell you guys horror stories about some of these shops. Anyway, good luck. :cheers:
Old 12-12-2002, 09:27 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals (mp77)

Started ripping and stripping this evening. I'll be pulling the trans myself and re-installing. Targetted replacement is the front main shaft seal and possibly the front pump cover o-Ring/seal (if there is one). I found transmission fluid on the 9/16" pump cover bolts after I dropped the splash pan. It'll take me more than 25 minutes to drop this tranny as I have header and the full exhaust to get out of the way and then I start disconnecting. The trans will drain overnight. I expect to pull it Saturday. I've bought the front main shaft seal. What other seals are there up front? Should I even try pulling the pump cover to replace that seal or leave to a professional? Will probably also fix/reroute my trans lines (will probably get new set from Ecklers) and upgrade the TVS cable from Bow-Tie using that new ezTV system (I'll be sending a few digital pictures of my linkage to them on Friday).

Fun fun! :seeya
Old 12-12-2002, 09:55 PM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the pump,there is a large o ring around it,a gasket between the pump and case and the front seal.Remove the bolts and pull the pump out.There will be a spacer[shim]behind it that you will install on the rear of the pump on assembly.Use a dot of grease to hold it.Match the gasket with case fluid passages,install new o ring and slide the pump back in.When pulling the pump,hold the input shaft so it will not slide forward and disengauge the forward clutch.Also the bolts have sealing washers on them.Easy job!
Old 12-13-2002, 07:56 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals (J75)

Really appreciate this information. Will print your instructions and will pick up the seal and gasket from my local trans shop.

Again, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals

Quick Reply: Need Estimate for Front Trans Seals