C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions about lifts

Thinking about getting one. Don't want to spend a lot of $$$ because it's only for my '79 Corvette and '77 Camaro (yeah, I know - you get what you pay for, etc., etc.) I know that a C3 owner here experienced a well-documented problem with his lift.

How much for a decent one?

Will one fit in a single bay of a three-car garage?

What is the minimum ceiling height (mine is about 9')

Two post or four post?

Is this a DIY project?

Like most garages, mine has a slight grade for drainage, is this a problem?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2002, 03:59 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Questions about lifts (Neo Fender)

How much for a decent one?

Will one fit in a single bay of a three-car garage?

What is the minimum ceiling height (mine is about 9')

Two post or four post?

Is this a DIY project?

Like most garages, mine has a slight grade for drainage, is this a problem?

Thanks
Short answers: $2000, yes, 8 foot, 4 post, yes, no :D

Longer answers: The best deal going right now appears to be http://www.directlift.com at $1995. Their design is identical to Superior, DoublePark, and others. Definitely add the aluminum ramps, drip trays, caster kit, and jack bridge IMHO.

One bay will be more than enough space. I ordered the Superior in the narrow footprint which is 6" narrower than standard since my garage is not very wide. No problem with getting the '69 on it, and I can park my Subaru Outback underneath.

Minimum ceiling height is dependent on whether you want to park another car under it or not. If so, I think its the height of both vehicles plus about 10" or so. Take antenna posts into account here (voice of experience).

4 post is best for storage, portability, and ease of install. You should not store a car on a 2 post lift due to suspension strain with the tires hanging.

Yes, it's a DIY job. I installed mine with a few friends help in a half day. Unloading it from the truck is the hardest part of the job.

A slight slope is no problem for the installation. Levelling the lift will take it all into account.

Any more questions, ask away!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:42 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions about lifts (sb69coupe)

www.eagleequip.com :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-12-2002, 04:43 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Questions about lifts (paintdaddy)

If you want something portable, but only gets your car up about 20 inches, check out wiklift
http://www.kwiklift.com
Old 12-12-2002, 05:05 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Questions about lifts (82dukman)

Don't get that 3 post lift that someone had here ;)
Old 12-12-2002, 05:49 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Questions about lifts (sb69coupe)

I've been looking at these things for a couple years and have never come across a $2k lift until I check out the directlift...what they forget to do...add metal? That is an unbelievably price.

Have you compared it to others structurally? And I guess from what you describe...it matches up well.

Both my 78 02 have power antennas (both work...too!) so I'm more concerned about width than height. That C5 with mirrors is wide and barely clears my 8' garage opening.

One last question...the Directlift isn't the one with photos shown here were the weight of the car on top...crushed the sleeping vette underneath...is it?
Old 12-12-2002, 08:36 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Questions about lifts (hunt4cleanair)

I don't think that a C5 would fit the narrow width model that I have. I know it will fit on the standard width model. As far as I can tell, the DirectLift is identical to the Superior and DoublePark. It is likely made by the exact same manufacturer (Gemini lifts, if I recall).

All these designs are structurally the same as the PerfectPark that collapsed. The main difference is that the PerfectPark has "captive" locks that are not visible as you raise/lower the lift. In my opinion this contributed to the failure that 69L71 had. I prefer the exposed locks so I can visually check to make sure everything is properly adjusted and engaging as designed.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

[QUOTE]
Both my 78 02 have power antennas (both work...too!)
[/QUOTE

A note of advice I have the eagel standard lift no problem with width on pulling the C5 in under the C2.My problem is that the antena when up will hit the lift and bend when pulling in so it is important to make sure that the radio is off when pulling in.My wife drives the car and the antena was bent she exsplained that she hit the clicker 3 time to put the windows down (window valet) to climb in and the radio went on the antena went up and the antena bent.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Questions about lifts (Ih2lose)

Don't know about width, but I park my Subaru underneath my Superior all the time. External locks are important to me; I check 'em every single time I use my lift before lowering the weight onto them.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:02 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Questions about lifts (Frank75)

Interesting to learn about the locks and their location...I'm like you guys and like to do a visual and would not feel secure not being able to do that.

I went to directlift website and have requested my info kit.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:28 PM
CHEESERAL
Racer

I bought a commercial Bend Pak 12,000 lb lift short lift. It fits in my one car garage fine and it's really heavy duty, massive steal ramps, crossmembers and posts. It only cost 2500 delivered and was pretty easy to put in. You can't move it around but I feel very safe getting under it. I park my Maxima under it with no problem but like a previous poster you gotta make sure the antenna is down.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about lifts

Quick Reply: Questions about lifts