C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:05 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging

Has anybody bought a set of cork or rubber valve cover gaskets lately for their SBC? I don't know if it is just me, but the last two sets of FelPro that I bought were difficult to install since they had 'settled' in the cardboard box packaging and really resisted a good fit on the cylinder head. I ended up removing a rubber gasket to find that along the upper and lower 'lip' of the cylinder head, the gasket was 95% inside the valve cover (vs. being where it needed to be to keep the oil IN). The replacement cork gaskets weren't much better but this time I took my time and verified that everything was where it was intended (read stayed 'put') before I tightened the bolts down.

And it wasn't due to over-torquing... I tighten them 'snug' with one of those 7/16" screwdriver/sockets that prevent you from applying much over 7ft lbs before the handle slips.

I've noted that Mr Gasket sells the gaskets with plastic coated over a cardboard backing; keeps the gaskets 'properly formed'; less chance for poor alignment and settling in my opinion.

Oh well, I'm using the good old $9 cork gasket once again; good bye rubber gasket. Oh, also noted the rubber gasket ($9 version) also had 'stretched' valve cover bolt holes. I suspect this is one of those 'you gets what you pays for...' situations.

Now, if I can only determine the cause of my persistent transmission leak, I might soon be able to claim a dry, oil stain free garage floor (hopeful).

:seeya
Old 12-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging (TedH)

Had the same experience, the cork was waped from the way it was packaged and a PITA to install.

Did you "glue"the gaskets on the covers first?

I don't like the cork gaskets either, there are much better neoprene gaskets available, they are much easier to install (especially if you have cover studs)

Marck
Old 12-11-2002, 02:50 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging (Twin_Turbo)

I had used the black RTV on a prior install but opted for using my fingers and checking visually along the edges this time. Once I had the bolts through the covers and the gaskets (with the covers positioned on the heads), I ran my fingers along the gaskets and literally seated each valve cover bolt into the cylinder heads, torqued into place using my 7/16" screwdriver/wrench. As I tightened, I re-checked the gasket positioning and then did a visual (above and below the car) to verify the cork stayed 'put'. I think this is a keeper :yesnod:
Old 12-11-2002, 02:55 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A suggestion for old / stiff / warped / mis-shapen cork gaskets.................

something I learned over 30 years ago working in my dad's farm implement business as a grade school through college tractor mechanic..............

soak these gaskets for a few hours in warm tap water, then dry them off, you'd be surprise how you can bring them back to life!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put the rubber ones on my 350 and the long sides were warped toward each other. Had to find a way to hold edges while putting cover on. It was a PITA. And still one end seems to leak slightly.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:46 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging (Surfer69)

That is exactly what happened with both the rubber and cork FelPro gaskets. The rubber gaskets als had 'elongated' holes that really caused me concern. I finally installed the cork gaskets and found that, even though they were warped, I could 'work them into shape' and they would stay put alot better than the rubber gaskets. Too bad they don't just package them like Mr Gasket. Would keep them 'square'.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:42 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I used the RTV Black to hold the gaskets in position on the valve covers only.Wait till the RTV is set,then put them on the heads. No leaks,and have been off the engine 3 times already and reused without resealing.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:29 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging (The Money Pit)

I am about to order Fel-Pro Gaskets. Should I do something else?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging (OHSIXX)

If the valve cover gaskets are included in an overhaul kit, they will probably be ok. I've seen the warpage when the valve cover gaskets are packaged alone. The gaskets themselves are good; just poor packaging in my opinion makes installation a challenge.

Get notified of new replies

To Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging

Quick Reply: Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Poor Packaging