C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merlin For Sale

Old 12-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Merlin For Sale

It is with great sadness that I announce that the car is for sale. I have driven it a number of times in the last few weeks & the fact is - driving the car is VERY uncomfortable for me. I simply do not fit. There are other reasons as well. I have built my dream & now I'm ready to move onto the next thing. I am going back to school for my doctorate. Things are also kind of shaky at Boeing right now, so I will likely have to take a large pay cut & go back to Microsoft. For all these reasons, I made the decision to go ahead & sell it. I felt I needed to let all my friends here know because you would have certainly found out & been sad that I didn't tell you firsthand. I have set the reserve at $100K, which is $150K less than I have invested in the car. I don't expect it to sell on Ebay & will likely have to take it over to Park Place & Dupont Registry, but I figured I would give it a shot. Thanks again to everyone who has supported me during this project. I had hoped to be able to bring the car to the Cruise In. I am going to request whoever buys it that they try to bring it there for everyone to see. My goal was to build a car that would cure me of my need to go fast & this car has done just that. I nearly killed Chris & myself last week when I slipped trying to adjust my knee. I hit the pedal & the tires just lit up. The car makes such a scary howl when you give it power. I wish I could keep it & just go out to hear it run every once in a while, but a car like this needs someone who fits in it & will take care of it. I simply don't fit & won't have the time next year to mess with it. Thanks again to everyone who supported me with this project!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874582531
Old 12-09-2002, 11:21 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (Merlin522)

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I am Sorry Steve. I hope you do well in the sale. I wish I could afford it.

Bob

I'm gonna get you started too. I am bidding everything I have in the bank.

[Modified by 76 Red, 11:29 PM 12/9/2002]
Old 12-09-2002, 11:26 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

i am going to track the life of this car for as long as it exist if at all possible. A lot of technology was developed/used in its inception and as a C3 fan I think its best place in in the Corvette mesuem ,but some private owner will buy it and we will se it pop up from time to time. It is my version of a ferrari fans 250 GTO ( something like 25 or so built). I may even see it in person someday( and hear it)!!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:29 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (sharkthehunter77)

This is a sad day indeed :( :sad:
Old 12-09-2002, 11:29 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (sharkthehunter77)

Sorry to hear this after following this build up, but like you I enjoy living as well and that car just sounds too damn scary for anyone except maybe a professional seasoned racer. Best wishes on your next project and eagerly look fwd to its build up as well. :cheers:
Old 12-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Steve, The Merlin guy in your sig looks alot sader than usual. Thanks for entertaining us with your build up and keeping us informed. Will we get some videos before the sale? Hopefully a forum member buys it. :cheers:
Old 12-10-2002, 12:27 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

That is one wicked creation you came up with. Hopefully it goes to a home where it is appreciated.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:40 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (bgrice)

anyone know where i could sell a kidney so i can bid on it ??
Old 12-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Merlin For Sale

Steve:

I do not know what takes more *****, building such a car or selling it so soon after competition. Either way may hat is off to you for being the patron of such a fine work of art.

George
Old 12-10-2002, 12:53 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (76 Red)

Sorry to hear about your pending job loss or change. You know the aviation industry will never go away. So hang tuff if you can.

And remember just because you sell you monster, you don't have to give up your membership to the greatest place on the internet.
Corvette Forum Rules. :cheers:
Old 12-10-2002, 12:53 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with sharkhunter77 try the corvette museum. It IS a radical car.

[Modified by Oldguard 7, 6:04 AM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 12:58 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (999)

Steve:

I do not know what takes more *****, building such a car or selling it so soon after competition. Either way may hat is off to you for being the patron of such a fine work of art.

George
:iagree: :cheers:
Old 12-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that blue or black paint? If it is blue what shade of blue is it? I hope to find a '72 and have it painted a real dark blue.

[Modified by Oldguard 7, 6:05 AM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 01:15 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve
You have to be proud of what you accomplished. I sorry to hear it didn't work out completely as you wanted. I have seen Merlin and the craftsmanship is top notch. It's too bad you can't at least keep Merlin long enough to get Merlin & yourself in a few magazines. On the positive side, you have gained a lifetime of knowledge building this awesome machine. Good luck with your career.Congratulations on a job well done.
Dan :thumbs:
Old 12-10-2002, 02:00 AM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

I don't know how easy it's going to be to sell that monster, but somebody here had a good idea a while back: sell lottery tickets to Corvette Forum members. 500 tickets for $200 or whatever works. I know that I'd be happy to buy one for a chance to win that thing, and I'm sure many other members feel the same way. You could be sure that it would find a good home. :)

Good luck, and congratulations on building the baddest car ever. :cheers:

(By the way, if you don't mind my asking, what sort of work do you do for Boeing?)
Old 12-10-2002, 02:45 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (VetticusSupersonicus)

I don't know how easy it's going to be to sell that monster, but somebody here had a good idea a while back: sell lottery tickets to Corvette Forum members. 500 tickets for $200 or whatever works. I know that I'd be happy to buy one for a chance to win that thing, and I'm sure many other members feel the same way. You could be sure that it would find a good home. :)

(By the way, if you don't mind my asking, what sort of work do you do for Boeing?)
I'm not sure, but this suggestion sounds highly illegal :crazy:
Old 12-10-2002, 02:49 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (Oldguard 7)

Can I bid $1000 for just a day's rental at the local track ?

Get notified of new replies

To Merlin For Sale

Old 12-10-2002, 03:18 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: Merlin For Sale

Merlin I live like 20 miles from you,, and your not gonna give me the opportunity to hear this thing in person before it's gone forever?? this breaks my heart.

It is too bad that you are having to resort to this. Are you sure you can't just try on a pair of those early bird style Ferarri seats. Paper thin buckets Compact yet roomy, And maybe drive it for a little longer?

Old 12-10-2002, 03:27 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Merlin For Sale (jdharkey)

I'm not sure, but this suggestion sounds highly illegal :crazy:
Ok, since we are doing creative financing.... 100,000K / 12 months = $8,333.33. I am in for 1/12th for 30 days a year for the life of the car. Can I get 11 others?
Old 12-10-2002, 04:34 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry to hear that the Beats wasn't comfortable for you... :sad: You've done so much for this community that I trully hope you're not going anyway. Keep us posted how the sale is going. :cheers:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Merlin For Sale