C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Top Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 05:34 AM
USMCVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Replacement

Where can i find either a replacement or aftermarket hard top for my '68 roadster?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:28 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Hard Top Replacement (USMCVette)

1. I am not sure if anybody makes an aftermarket top. If so, they would likely cost well over $1000.

2. Some of the big vette parts vendors carry some inventory of used tops. You probably pay top $$ there also, + shipping is very high for a hardtop. A crate must be built. Can cost $500 to ship.

For example, I know Paragon claims to have some in inventory. You could try all of the big well known vendors, but they won't be cheap!

3. Hardtops come up for sale on ebay. Do a saved search on "corvette hardtop" and you will get an email whenever an auction shows up. Many of the auctions will be for fixed roof 1999 corvettes (aka "hardtop") and models, but some will be for 68 - 75 hardtops. Shipping can be a big issue there also. I got lucky and found an ebay auction where the seller was near me. I drove over to his house and bought the top.

Also, very hard to be sure of condition of the top, even with pics. You could spend a lot of money for the top + shipping and be very unhappy with what you get....

4. Keep an eye on the "c3 parts for sale" section of the forum. Maybe put up a "WTB" (=want to buy) post.
( :) OK - I see you been there/done that! :) )

I am not sure what year (was it 1970?) they added a 3rd attaching pin in the center rear of the top. Your 68 will not have a place for this pin, which I guess you can just remove but will still be a slight mismatch. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 11:35 AM 12/8/2002]
Old 12-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Hard Top Replacement (MNJack)

There is a company called Smooth Line that makes hardtops for 56-96 Vettes. Try http://www.smoothline.com for info. Other than that you will have to find a used top from somebody
Old 12-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Hard Top Replacement (USMCVette)

Watch Ebay, seems they come up every couple of weeks. One of our forum brothers picked one up a couple of weeks ago within easy driving distance from his home. I remember looking at Smoothline a couple of years ago and really liking their tops, much lighter than the OEM top.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:15 PM
zootallure
Intermediate

Default Re: Hard Top Replacement (Smokehouse69)

There was one posted for sale at usedcorvettes.com last month, not sure if it sold or not
Jerry
Old 12-15-2002, 02:08 PM
USMCVette
Intermediate

Default Re: Hard Top Replacement (Gordonm)

thanks fellas.
I checked out the smoothline site. they're like 1300 bucks. i'll just wait until i find a used one for sale. it's a nice weatehr car, anyway, right?

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Top Replacement

Quick Reply: Hard Top Replacement