C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

What do ya think? Look too big? 20X8 on the front and 20X9.5 for the rear. I hope I don't twist the centers out of em... :crazy:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 4:50 PM 12/2/2002]

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 4:51 PM 12/2/2002]
Old 12-02-2002, 11:48 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Stingraycrazy)

Love the open concept. You could really add alot bigger rotors. How much are tires going to cost?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (norvalwilhelm)

I picked up 2 295/40ZR20's for the rear from Tire Rack on special @ $163.00 each. Goodyear HP Ultra directionals. I know there not the best but they look nice and I'll just smoke em anyway :lol: Trying to find a good deal for the front now. Looking for 255/35ZR20's same brand. :crazy:

Old 12-02-2002, 01:10 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Stingraycrazy)

Stingraycrazy- I love your rim style choice. You have a nice set-up going. 295's are even making the deal sound sweeter :yesnod:

I have seen only 2 pictures of 20 inchers on C3's and it looks very large to me. Maybe its the 35 profile or maybe I need to see it in person. It sure makes the rotors look small!!

There was a vette mag article with a 78 red which also got posted here on the forum and then GroovyJay-Finland here has 20 inchers on his project.

Keep us posted with your project. You know we all love to see pic's.

Brent....
Old 12-02-2002, 01:32 PM
The Dude
Race Director

You are absolutely correct--you are going to need to upgrade your brake package with that Plus-5 wheel/tire combo, and not just for looks, either. That's a little detail that's glossed over by many people who go with bigger diameter wheels because of the additional cost.

I can't beging to tell you how nervous I get when I'm on the freeway and I see some Suburban or something on 20s, 22s or 24s slide in behind me. Chances are the brakes aren't up to the task.

Looks good so far.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (The Dude)

As far as stopping power the brakes should work better than factory spec or at least better than a 70 corvette standards. The rear tire diameter is only 1.5" larger than the stock 27" and the front is a factory 27". I'm using a Wilwood Master w/adjustable proportioning valve and VetteBrakes Stainless sleeved Calipers. But your right :yesnod: I would like to fill the gap with some cool looking monster slotted rotors. I'll wait and see once I get the tires mounted and the body back on the frame.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:08 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Now that's what I call extra :cool: . I luv'em. I got set 20"s all around and I know that those wheels look even better in real life. As for the brake issue, I'm in the same boat with you. Right now I'm looking at set from a British Company that makes brake upgrades for Bentley's and Aston Martins etc. It's all hand crafted, so the price isn't the cheapest either. :(

Do keep us posted...

Jay :cheers:
Old 12-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (groovyjay)

Thanks Jay,

Your's look very :cool: Also... As far as the brakes go, why go to the expence of custom hand made brakes when there's so many other companies that have kits on the shelf? Is your vendor that good? :crazy:
Old 12-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

id like to see them on the car :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-02-2002, 06:05 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Titanium Rat)

sorry but....TO BIG. I dont like the all wheel no tire look. I love the style, but i tend to like 17 wheels with some tire showing :smash: Cant wait to see what they look like on the car tho. Mabey you can change my mind
Old 12-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (QuickVet)

That's how I feel. 20's are just too big for a C3. You'll need to upgrade the brakes because of the greater rotating mass, not the diameter increase.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Schmucker)

Rotating Mass? The wheels are lighter than the stock steel rims plus I have less rubber... Just for fun I'll weigh them and I'll post later. :crazy:
Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I think you're going to need an extra set of rear tires :p: ! When they get smooth, maybe I'll pick them up for the track :lol: .

I do like the looks better than the TT II's :crazy: .
Old 12-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (MN-Brent)

MN-Brent, I think this is the picture you were talking about. Rod
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Red73)

Red73 - thats the one. Cant forget that one.

Did you take this shot yourself? I dont remember this one in the magazine article.

Id be interesteed in hearing the owners impressions of how they handle the streets, such as rim shots etc.

Brent...
Old 12-02-2002, 11:52 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Not so much the weight, but the wheel acting like a lever. 1lbs near the center is better than 1lb out on the edge, and having the weight further out effects things.

[Modified by Schmucker, 7:23 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 12:18 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:crazy::crazy:
Off the shelf?
:crazy::crazy:
Who makes brake systems for Vettes that are actually better than stock? Besides that german place that wants like $3000 per axel?

Thanks Jay,

Your's look very :cool: Also... As far as the brakes go, why go to the expence of custom hand made brakes when there's so many other companies that have kits on the shelf? Is your vendor that good? :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

Old 12-03-2002, 12:50 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Schmucker)

Not so much the weight, but the wheel acting like a level. 1lbs near the center is better than 1lb out on the edge, and having the weight further out effects things.
Yup, but I think he means, "acting like a lever."

I just did an article on the growing trend toward larger wheels and had the opportunity to talk with representatives from Center Line, American Racing, Dayton, CEC, Cragar, ALCOA and Weld. TO A MAN they all pointed to the importance of a brake upgrade when going larger than, say, 17".

Granted, the C3s had pretty stout systems out of the box and I'll bet they can hold their own relative to any new braking technology that might be out there. Maybe the only upgrade that might be required on our cars is a thorough brake system tuneup.

I'm just saying you--and others who Plus size more than 1 or 2 sizes on any vehicle--might want to look in to it and/or keep it in mind as you move ahead. What could it hurt to call your wheel's manufacturer and see what they recommend?

Anyhow, they look sharp--you done good. :thumbs:
Old 12-03-2002, 02:51 AM
soundguy
Racer

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (The Dude)

Why not just buy a shiny new Honda to start with instead of bastardizing an American classic with these ricer monstrosities that look like they'd be more at home on a forklift or baggage cart.

I'm glad that Zora isn't around to witness this particularly unsettling era of car mods...
Old 12-03-2002, 04:29 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (soundguy)

Well,,, thats not for me (the red vette in the pic, but still looks nice :confused:), but the wheel in the first post are nice looking, i think they would look good on a c3. Id bet they handle great in the curves,,,, like your on rails. :) :confused:

[Modified by Titanium Rat, 9:11 PM 12/3/2002]

Quick Reply: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...