Sponsored by:

2001 C5 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RESOLVED: 2001 C5 Won't Start

I know there are threads on this and I haven't found any of them that exactly describe what I'm experiencing. My first thought is fuel pump, but another friend has suggested it may be something else as he hasn't heard of many failing

Details of the car... 2001 C5 Convertible w/ 6 speed manual (107k miles)

I was driving on the freeway Friday evening about 70-75mph when the car completely died, still had electronics, but the car had shut itself off. I tried to push the clutch down and restart with no luck. I pulled safely to the shoulder and tried starting the car again. After about 5 minutes, it started again, I took it as a fluke and continued on my way. About 5 miles down the road again, car did the same thing, died and would not start. This time it would start but never really get above 300-400 rpms and then would die again. Had the car towed back home, had a dead battery at this point from cranking over and over and having the 4-ways on. Charged it up last night and tried cranking, just cranks no firing or even attempt at firing.
  • I tried listening for the fuel pump to whine as I've done in the past with other fuel pump issues, and heard nothing.
  • There are no codes thrown
  • no engine light
  • no security lights
  • engine cranks

Thoughts?

Last edited by anthonyshaw; 07-01-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: issues resolved
The following users liked this post:
Corvette Carl (10-18-2016)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Put a pressure gauge on the fuel line and see what the pressure is. If you don't have a gauge most parts stores loan them with a refundable deposit.

Pressure should be about58 lbs and not drop if the engine does start.. If not then you can start with the fuel filter but it would have to be completely blocked and likely would have given you some symptoms in advance that it was a problem.
No issues prior, pulled strong and haven't had any other indication, just dead stopped. Where would I put the gauge at? I would assume 0 pressure could also indicate fuel pump, since I'm not hearing it prime as well, correct?

Did you PULL the codes or just expect them to pop up in the DIC?????
I pulled them by pressing Options and Fuel 4x and going through all the options there. I can also pull them with my EFILive Flashscan tonight if you think that would yield different results.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

there is a port on the fuel rails. Look and it should be easy to recognize. Plastic cap as I recall covering the schrader valve. Pressure may not be zero but if it is significantly under 58 you know the pump is the likely cause.
Thanks, I'll check this out tonight. Have an AutoZone in town, I'm sure I can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from them.

Did you check the fuse and relay???? 13 and 35 respectively in the engine compartment fuse box...........
I did not, I was running late going north after I waited for a tow truck, I will check those tonight as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 PM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by anthonyshaw
I did not, I was running late going north after I waited for a tow truck, I will check those tonight as well.
Checked the fuse and relay both are still good. We had a storm come through, so I haven't gotten a fuel pressure gauge yet to test fuel pressure.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:34 AM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your problem sound like a fuel pressure problem, check manual for specific p.s.i. ( 50-60 ) ,First thing in any drive-ability problem is scan and pull codes, read data, then see if there is spark and proper fuel pressure or neither, use a gauge and a spark checker, this will point you in the right direction. You should hear a 3 second prime of the pump before cranking, try priming a few times.
Hope this points you in the right direction, keep us posted

Last edited by BK n BLK; 06-28-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:42 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Default 2001 C5 Won't Start

Your engine needs 3 things to run. Air, fuel and spark. Air is rarely the problem that leaves the other two. If it were running but rough I'd say check the COPs but I doubt they'd all fail simultaneously. Id say fuel is the likely culprit based on what you posted. Since you checked fuses and relays that pretty much leaves pump and filter or possibly pressure regulator. If not then I'd check the PCM as that has a lot to do with your spark on most modern cars. But based on it starting back up once it sounds like a fuel pump in the death throes.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 AM
badvert
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always sprayed some starting fluid in the air filter to see if it will start , if it does fuel problem .
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
BK n BLK
Advanced

I myself never use starter fluid on fuel injected engines, I have seen others do it successfully and I have seen it cause other issues. ( back fire and damaged M.A.F. ) I have found if you have both no spark and no fuel the ecm/pcm is not allowing it to fire. I have a fuel cleaning kit that use if I need to induce pressure. Try and put a gauge on it. I have used a rubber hammer and hit the fuel tank on Chryslers as someone is cranking to get pump running again for fast diagnosis .

Last edited by BK n BLK; 06-28-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 PM
c51stvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when I was having ignition switch issues with my 2001, my car would shut down while driving also. It would crank like crazy but not start. I did the Bill Curley clean up on the switch. I am not saying your problem is the same but go through all the logic checks.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

So, update since Friday... I replaced the fuel pump and the car started right up, after allowing it to prime a couple times.

Drove the car all day Saturday, had a great time!

Pulled the car out on Sunday to arrange vehicles to head north for the day, started fine. Wife went to start it to head north, just cranked again, fuel pump not priming again. Rolled it back to the garage, left it sit, pissed off and didn't feel like messing with it anymore.

Am going to check the connection at the pump module tonight and see if something is going on weird there, it ran great Saturday and then nothing on Sunday... seems suspicious.

Replaced with a Walbro GRJ420P Fuel Pump
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Did you check the fuel filter??? It is also the fuel pressure regulator......
Not yet

I figured the fuel pump would prime at key-on, even if the fuel filter were plugged, would it not?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM
tandt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put a guage on the fuel rail, see if your getting the JUICE at the right pressure.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Do you hear the pump come on when you turn the key to the ON position??? Does the pump run continuously or not at all??
Nothing at all, fuses and relay are both still good.

The filter has the return line to the tank. It the pressure regulating function inside the filter were faulty it could divert the fuel back to the tank and not let the injector side see adequate pressure.

Is the filter original??? Or has it been replaced previously??
No idea, I've owned the car for 4k miles, bought from dealer. It's worth checking tho
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Since you changer out the pump it might be worth re-checking the electrical connections to the pump....
I'll be checking that tonight. Hopefully it ends up being that easy, otherwise off to the shop for them to diagnose. :-\
Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 PM
BK n BLK
Advanced

A fuel filter sould always be changed with a fuel pump, regardless of the age of the filter, every pump I have ever change says if filter is not change the warrenty is void.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 PM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

So, I had a chance this afternoon to pull the wheel off and planned to check voltage at the connector with a multimeter, unplugged the connector and looked at the end (trying to figure out how I planned to get my multimeter to work) and noticed the holes for the pins were a little larger than I figured they should be. I took an o-ring pick and narrowed the gaps, plugged it back in and... viola, car started. Problem solved!!!

Too bad the old pump went bye-bye in the trash this morning, oh well... glad it's back up and running again.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 AM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Glad to hear your back on the road!
Diagnosing a fault can be a pain, patient's and following the right procedures can help you get through it, and of course all the help from corvette forum.

Last edited by BK n BLK; 06-30-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:10 AM
anthonyshaw
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pat-F
Glad to hear your back on the road!
Diagnosing a fault can be a pain, patient's and following the right procedures can help you get through it, and of course all the help from corvette forum.
For sure... what a pain.

Thanks again to everybody for their help.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 C5 Won't Start

Quick Reply: 2001 C5 Won't Start