C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bubba does brakelight switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 04:22 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Bubba does brakelight switch

I ordered a 68, one-year-only stoplight switch from Zip, and while I was waiting for the $55 switch to arrive I thought I would try to install the plunger style switch that was used for a 25 year period excluding 1968.

Went to Napa and picked up the switch for $7.50. Scouring my basement I discovered an unused metal hanger (the kind you put on your garage wall and hang tools from..) and I managed to hack it up, bend it, drill holes in it to fit above the brake pedal. It mounts nicely on an existing bolt under there. I disconnected the old brake switch connection (The old brake switch is still in there :eek: ), wired it up and it actually works!

The new "correct" switch arrived today. Someday I may use it. Why do things the right way when there are so many other options available?? :)

Thanks to Craig (CF6873) for the concept. MJ
Old 04-05-2002, 04:25 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bubba does brakelight switch (MNJack)

"Bubba" strikes again ! :jester

Yeah, there's a saying, " Necessity is the 'mother' of invention. " :lol:
If it works, that's great - will it last ? :eek:
Old 04-05-2002, 07:20 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

In response to the overwhelming interest generated by this post, here are some pics. First you start with a shelf bracket. Surely you have some shelves that can spare a bracket!

Then, you get the stoplight switch from Napa, and chop and bend and drill the bracket to look like this: (In this pic I have already slipped on the yellow connectors that I was going to use)

Finally, here is the installed switch, with the mounting bracket.

:) MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 6:23 PM 4/5/2002]
Old 04-05-2002, 08:22 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Mark......if you already ordered and received the correct switch why go through all this :crazy: I could see it if the correct switch was no longer made but :rolleyes: Anyway, hope you had fun doing it. :)
Old 04-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice fix. You should see the 5 gallon bolt bucket I got filled to the top with many kinds of this that and the other. For some reason I never seem to throw away all that junk and fasteners from the cars Ive stripped down. Saves me many a trip to the parts and hardware store. I bet if not already, other 68 owners will adopt this idea. If you dressed the edges of the bracket and painted it black it would look like it belongs. Not like anyones gonna look under there anyway.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:44 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Default Re: Bubba does brakelight switch (gq82)

Jerry, (you party pooper!! :) )

Today is Friday. Althought I did get the correct switch in the mail today, I didnt know when it would arrive.
All the Bubba work was done between Monday and today, in 1/2 hr increments when I had the time. Why did I bother?
I wanted to drive the car on Saturday and I didnt know when the switch would arrive in the mail.
I am incapable of just letting everything SIT, while I wait for a part. I had to do SOMETHING!! :)
I was intrigued by the idea of an $8 solution vs a $55 solution and I wanted to see if I could make it work.
The correct switch is located way the heck up there and I am still not sure if I can get to it. The Bubba switch is much more accessible, yet still under the dash and completely hidden from view.
Same reason we climb Mt Everest...... It was there! :)
If you do it the right way the first time, you miss the experience gained from doing it over and over and over again!! :) MJ
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2002, 08:49 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good Answer :D
Old 04-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Black68Vette
Pro

Good ole 68s, thats all I can say...
Old 04-06-2002, 10:40 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Bubba does brakelight switch (Black68Vette)

That fix looks good to me- especially given that you will never look under there. Can you use the switch you got from Zip to hold up the shelf?

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba does brakelight switch

Quick Reply: Bubba does brakelight switch