C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 08:06 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to diagnose window motor?

I have my cars interior apart and before i put it back together, i was want to make sure everything works. Is it safe to just jump 12 volts to the motors. They are out of the car, and one is apart because i was told it doesn't work. Does anybody know what usually breaks/wears out on them, and how to fix it, or does anybody have any suggestions at all on replacing/testing them. I am already over budget on my interior, though i knew that was going to happen :) but i dont want to have to spend to much more.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Default Re: How to diagnose window motor? (chuckb01)

Autozone sells rebuilt power window motors for around $60, so its not exactly horrifyingly painful pricewise.. I'd take the one you know works, plug it in on the other side and try the switch (to make sure it isn't that)

Old 02-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to diagnose window motor? (Black68Vette)

If I remember correctly, the motor casing is what is grounded. You could put leads from a battery to each terminal on the motor to see if it moves in both directions. Be careful with the plug if you haven't disconnected yet, as they can be fragile.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:41 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to diagnose window motor? (Black68Vette)

You can use a battery charger to test the motor by using the case as ground. The two prongs are positive, one is for up and one for down operation. You didn't say what year but this is how we diagnosed a bad motor in my friends 73. He had worn brushes and wound up replacing them with donors from old junk motors that he had lying around. He sanded the new bruhes into shape and soldered them in. Worked well.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To How to diagnose window motor?

Quick Reply: How to diagnose window motor?