C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm buying all my tools at Sears...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm buying all my tools at Sears...

... I loaned my new $100 torque wrench to a guy and when I got it back, it was twisted way past the stop. I took it to Sears to see if there was some place to get it calibrated and the guy said, "I can't get it calibrated. I'll just warranty it for you." Two minutes and I'm outa there with a brand new wrench. You can bet if I need a tool, that's where I'm looking first. :cheers:
Old 02-28-2002, 06:12 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (Mack76)

That's one reason I don't lend my tools out. I've seen a couple of my buddies set a torque wrench to 90 ft lbs and leave it set like that after they are done using it. They don't realize that there are springs in there that you can ruin by doing that. Sears is definetly the way to go.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

How long had you had the torque wrench?

I believe it's the only tool Sears doesn't have a lifetime warrantee on. Only one year on that. (I think)

My torque wrench is a craftsman too. :D
Old 02-28-2002, 06:17 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (Chris Fowler '80)

I had it less than a month. I'd only used it once.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:18 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have been a fairly new torque wrench, or you had an uninformed salesperson, because it's been discussed on this forum before, that the famous and great sears craftsman forever warranty does NOT apply to their torque wrenches. Believe they are warrantied for 3 or 12 months at the most.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:23 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (john's '81 mouse)

Speaking of warranty. I busted a Snap-ON 12-24 NC tap at work. I left it on the desk for the Snap-On guy. We went out to the truck and he handed me a new one and a reciept. We chatted a little bit and away he went. I went back inside and looked at the reciept, and he warranteed the tap. :eek: I couldn't believe it. You would think that something like that wouldn't have a warranty. He also sent my Blue Point air drill in for a rebuild and said there is no charge because of the warranty. Of course you pay for it when the tool is new. Sears has always been good with warranty on Craftsman for me too.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:44 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (Dalannex)

I diitto Craftsman warranty. The only time they cheap out I think is on their ratchets when they start to slip they give you a repair kit. I have one I've had for 30 years and it's so loose a kit last's about a month. Snap on warranty is very good as well. :)
Old 02-28-2002, 08:14 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (paso)

The Sears torque wrench warranty sucks. First let me say, I have one, and it is the second torque wrench I have owned from Sears. However, the locking mechanism is made from cheap plastic. It will be the first thing to go usually, and it usually goes on day 366. WIth that said, all my tools are Craftsmen, however, I wish they would not whimp out on the torque wrench. What that says to me is we will warranty all of our hand tools for life except the ones with moving parts, which we don't even trust that much, so the warranty is only for a year. I say build a quality tool, charge for it up front, and warranty it until you can't read the manufacturer's lable.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:52 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (MoneyPit)

Ditto what MoneyPit said. I had a Sears Torque wrench and used it to assemble one engine. After about a year I went to use it again and the ratchet mechanism wouldn't work. I took it back to Sears and they said "Sorry, no warranty on Torque Wrenches". I now have two Husky Torque Wrenches that have a lifetime, no questions asked, replacement warranty from Home Depot. Sears makes great hand tools and just about all of mine are Craftsman even some that were my dad's and are 60 years or older. Just stay away from their torque wrenches.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears...

I guess I've been lucky. My Craftsman 3/8" and a 1/2" torque wrenches are about 3 or 4 years old and have held up pretty well. I sent them in for calibration last year and they were right on, I even tested them against a Snap-on gauge and they were within less than 1 ft lb. I think the key with any torque wrench is to release the spring by putting them back to '0' when you're done, and not using them to release fasteners. Only use them to torque fasteners.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: I'm buying all my tools at Sears... (Monty)

I go to the local pawn shop and buy craftsmen sockets for about $.50 each. If they break, take the to Sears for a replacement. Can't beat that!

Regards,

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To I'm buying all my tools at Sears...

Quick Reply: I'm buying all my tools at Sears...