C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 09:41 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car

I'm in the process of doing a full rear suspension removal and inspection. I want to take care of some of the oily & greasy crud that's under there so I can get things nice and sparkly (until they get oily & greasy again)

What's the best thing to use for the best results with the minimum scrubbing? I'm talking about crud on the bottom of the battery tray and elsewhere, so it's on metal and f-glass parts.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2002, 10:10 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car (ddecart)

Orange Clean. Or, even better yet, if you can get a hold of ZEP products, they make their brand of the same stuff, which is called Big Orange. It's a little more concentrated. Both work pretty good. They both need to be sprayed on, let sit, then rinsed off with water. You need to scrape off any large grease and crud chunks, but to get the oily stuff off, the Orange Clean technique works great. It is the only thing I have found which is truly a spray on, then rinse off degreaser. Simple Green used straight works good too.

-Justin
Old 02-28-2002, 10:12 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car (Dalannex)

Simple Green works pretty good too.
Its bio-degradeable so it is not a very harsh chemical.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car (ddecart)

If you can rinse the parts with water then I'd recommend Simple Green Automotive Degreaser. It works pretty darned good for a non-solvent based degreaser.
If you have some really nasty stuff to get off you can use paint thinner/mineral spirits (highly refined kerosene.) I have used this extensively and it works pretty good for scrubbing off caked on grease. I have several small brass wire brushes that I use like tooth brushes on the stuff. After I use the mineral spirits I wipe every thing down with lacquer thinner or acetone. Use rubber gloves and goggles when working with the stuff. Also make sure the area is very well ventilated and you don't have any source of spark or ignition around, acetone and lacquer thinner are worse than gasoline.
I cleaned the whole underside of my car from the firewall back, using this method. Before I started I squirted the whole underside down with Simple Green, then I drove it to a spray away car wash. I took my ramps with me (and did this after mid-night) drove up on the ramps, used the tire cleaner/engine degreaser under the car. Then spent about $10.00 in quarters spraying and washing the underside of the car, inside the frame, and crossmembers.
Take a rain suit and coveralls along with you, cause you will be soaked and filthy when you get thru.
Even after this high pressure treatment I still spent many hours scraping off undercoating and grime.
I still need to do the engine compartment and front of the frame (I'm in the process of doing this.)
Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

C3 Shark Tank reccomened to me.. whitewall cleaner of all things but I'll be darned is it doesn't work great!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:15 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car (Monkeywrench)

Castrol makes a spray on product called Super Clean. It works well. I did my whole car with it. Again, you need to take a gasket scraper and scrape off crud you can before hand.

dl
Old 02-28-2002, 05:59 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have found that WD-40 works rather well at loosening up the frame crud.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:47 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

There was a thread about this not long ago. Check it out. In a nutshell, I took my greasy 66 to a DIY carwash and took my floor jack. I jacked up one side of the car and sprayed away.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car

Quick Reply: DEGREASER - I need something to use on the underside of my car